This Disappears When Logged In

Ways to Mount a Uth

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Bluegill, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bluegill

Bluegill Well-Known Member

I saw this topic being touched on, but I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread with my question, so here it is:

I'm sick of replacing bulbs. I want to use another type of heating system for my snakes.

I'm extremely accident-prone, and I don't trust myself to use heat tape safely. So, I figured I'd use a UTH. But, if it adheres to the cage, how am I going to keep it clean?!

So I figured I'd attach it to something else. My question is, which would be better to attach it to: Ceramic or Glass?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you assuming that it goes inside the tank?
    It doesn't. So keeping it clean should not be a concern. Some people will stick them on a peice of glass like out of a picture frame and put that under the tank. That way it can be moved if you upgrade to another tank.
    Or if the glass gets broken.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

it goes UNDER the tank, not inside it.

4. Bluegill

I know that it goes under the tank. I like to clean the outside of my tanks too. Call me OCD, lol. I'm assuming it sticks to the bottom or side of the cage, and I like to wipe down the sides of my cages occasionally. So, I want it to be removable so that it doesn't get wet. So, I'm asking what would be a better material to adhere to the uth, glass or ceramic? I want the heat to be able to transfer through the extra layer that the glass or ceramic will create.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Use the peice of glass.
    The pad is designed to adhere to a glass surface. Once attached you cant remove it without damaging it.

6. Bluegill

Awesome! Thanks Merlin :)

7. LilyPad

LilyPad Well-Known Member

That is a great idea!! My big issue with the UTH is that it doesnt STAY STUCK. I keep taping it on but the tape releases from the heater while it is warm and it plops right back off.

8. Bluegill

Yea, I've seen it done with ceramic tile and glass, and for me it was a matter of deciding which material to use. I like the fact that you can remove the heating element from the enclosure.

9. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

One way I have found to get around the short life of the bulbs is this, if you are running a 75 watt bulb, get a fixture that is rated for 100watt or more. It works with the smaller bulbs as well. I have bulbs set up like that that I have been running for a while. It is just a thought until your UTH is installed. The UTH is the better choice any way. The snakes will appreciate the belly heat as opposed to the overhead heat.