This Disappears When Logged In

Wax Worm Bedding/Breeding

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by tink, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

I'm gonna try to breed waxies soon...

What bedding have you found to be the best?

And how many should I start out with?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Breeding waxworms is not like breeding mealworms or superworms. Instead of trying to use an artificial food source, you would be best off trying to get your hands on some honey comb. There are several "recipes" for making your own, but it isn't nearly as productive as real honeycomb is. You may be able to find a local bee keeper who can provide you with some comb. Waxworms destroy their hives, so you might get lucky and find one that has an infested hive!

How did you intend on housing them? When they are moths, they don't eat.....so if any escape, they can still breed...and will. (I experienced this! lol)

3. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I tried to breed waxworms once............I will never attempt to do so again. I tried the recipes involving dog food, water, and honey topped with bits of wax paper. The result was always smelly and I gave up. I will stick to mealworms and Superworms for now. Good luck, let us know if you are successful.

4. tink

tink Elite Member

Thanks for the advice!

I was just going to put them in a 5gallon plastic jar like shape container with a tiny mesh lid. Then whatever I needed in the inside. I was gonna keep it where my crix are. I'm just going to experiment.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I read somewhere that the moths die shortly and to just not open it til they do. Then take the worms out, and start over?

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

The moths do die fairly quick. Once they have successfully bred, you will see tiny little "maggot like" insects eating and burrowing in the honeycomb.

Take out he feeders you will be using, and leave some in to pupate or start another container with fresh honey comb.

Here is a guide on How to breed waxworms: Breeding Waxworms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.