This Disappears When Logged In

Waterproofing a Waterfall

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by thefish3341, Oct 12, 2011.

1. thefish3341

thefish3341 Active Member

I'm trying to get some suggestions for a nontoxic waterproof sealant to use for making a waterfall for a gecko setup.

I'm designing the waterfall to look like water flowing down a hollowed out log. I'm planning on using styrofoam coated with grout and acrylic paint, but I can't seem to find an answer to what type of sealant to use.

Any help with this project would be appreciated!

2. hcfwesker

hcfwesker Elite Member

3. thefish3341

I watched that video and looked up the Shield All sealant that he mentioned, but it combined with the shipping costs seems very pricey and I was hoping to find an alternative. I'm thinking about using Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish:

Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish | Interior Clear Protective Finishes

From what I read about it, it seems to be waterproof and reptile safe. Any idea on how long the polycrylic fumes would take to air out before it's safe to use?

4. hcfwesker

hcfwesker Elite Member

No matter what sealant you use, it's always safe to give it 48-72 hours to air out, i believe.

and, the Minwax Polycrylic is exactly what I'm using for sealing my frame wood for my Iguana's custom habitat I actually just got back from Lowes/Home Depot picking up most of my supplies.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With some sealants that isn't enough time. Some of the oil based varieties actually take weeks to cure out and stop off gassing. That one reason we recommend the polycrylic. Its water based and quick drying.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Would Minwax work in this situation? I figured it would only work on wood.

7. thefish3341

Thanks for all the advice so far! I plan on painting over the grout with acrylic paint before applying the minwax polycrylic. Minwax's website says that the polycrylic protective finish can be used over paint so I think it should still work.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I just finished a project and I just painted over the grout and then used 3 coats of minwax polycrylic over it! You may want to do more for water use.
    What kind of geckos is this for?

9. thefish3341

That's some good news, thanks. This will be for my new Chahoua.

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's my opinion that polycrylic likely won't work.
    You would need more of a buildup than you can get with that product as it's so thin.
    In the short term it would likely be ok. But a longer term solution would definitely be more costly and you'd want to use a marine epoxy such as West Coast systems has.

11. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

it works over just about anything you want sealed. great for wood enclosures, home made rocks/hides/waterfalls, or about anything else. I wouldn't try it for sealing leaky plumbing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked for a while

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would have to take Mike's advice, he is more experienced with this than I am, mine was for Bearded Dragon which don't require as much humidity!

13. rward18

rward18 Elite Member

planning to make a waterfall soon would loctite marine epoxy be safe for retiles as long as it is fully cured?

14. CrystalHerps

CrystalHerps New Member

They make non toxic aquarium glue.