This Disappears When Logged In

Waterflow Under False Bottom

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by TurboCoffee, May 12, 2014.

1. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Hi guys. I'm building my first vivarium and I have about a half inch of free standing water under the false bottom. There is one pump in the middle of the tank that runs water up the walls and waterfalls back down so there is some water movement in the false bottom. My concern is weather or not that is enough water flow for the semi stagnant water in the false bottom? The tank is a 55 g so I imagine the water at either end of the tank will not move fast.

So my question is basically should I just leave it and consider that to be standard and acceptable and do weekly water changes?
    Or should I place a small circulation pump AMD possible filter under there to keep everything moving better?
    Or should I place foam wedge on either side as to limit the total water volume and keep it more centered in the tank for maximum disturbance?

Thanks.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You could rearrange the tank to put the main intake on one end and have at least one output at the other end. That would, I think, eliminate any issues with stagnant water.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Typical 55's I'm familiar with are narrow front to back, as suggested above an uptake on one end and down flow on the other will most likely minimize stagnation anywhere.

4. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Hmmm. I'll see. My waterfall pump design is for center of tank. But I got a plan for it.

One more question. As there will be an inch of water under there full time, should I use an aquarium heater and heat the water as apposed to a heat pad under the tank?

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

1" of water is not much to work with on an aquarium heater. I'm using an under tank heater to keep the water warm enough to evaporate into the soil above. Depending on what you are keeping in there "hot" water would be hard to work with, Fast evaporation, not sure what critter your setting up.

6. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Actually looking at the pump I'm using, it will be more like 2-2.5" of water under false bottom at all times with a half inch of air between water and substrate barrier. This is for 3-4 crested geckos. I would set the water heater to 78 degrees plus I could always unplug it. The waterfall will have 2- falls probably. Still working on the ground level, haven't constructed the back wall yet. I don't mind buying an under tank heater if that's smarter, I just figure it will do the same thing as the aquarium heater and I have like 10 of them already so if I don't have to buy it I won't.

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm sure you know than that you must be diligent about keeping your water levels properly. I've shattered a few heaters in my time letting the water get to low :( oops...

Maybe a under tank heater on a dimmer that you could just dial in the temp, much safer...

8. TurboCoffee

TurboCoffee Member

Yeah. You're probably right. It would be safer and more easily accessible in case of issue.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not to mention it would be one less cord to try and hide/manage. UTH and a thermostat, plus no tearing the setup apart if something fails. And from the sounds of what your planning, that would be a major consideration for me at least.