This Disappears When Logged In

Waterfall Tank, Inhabitant Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Quinkan, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Quinkan

Quinkan Member

I am planning on making a tropical stream-side themed water fall paludarium with a spray foam background. I want it to have most of the bottom to be aquatic (2-3 inches of water) with large river rocks sticking out. The background, I am thinking will be steep, but still easily climbed, with large rocks jutting out as places to hide/ bask/ hang out. It is at 50 gallon tall hexagonal tank, and I want some kind of small - medium sized semi-aquatic salamander or lizard. Additionally, I think it would be nice to have some sort of smaller, mostly aquatic animal that doesn't bother the main attraction, and isn't bothered by it. For this, I am thinking some sort of small crab or shrimp, as long as the (hypothetical) newt's poison doesn't harm it. Does anyone have a suggestion for what pairing would or wouldn't do well in this sort of conditions? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've always been fascinated by paludariums. Beautiful oasis on a smaller scale. I always figured I would use dart frogs if I did build one as their attractive colors set off the whole scene.
    Day geckos might be of consideration. As for crabs they tend to have different care requirements among the different species so you would have to plan your setup around that.

3. Quinkan

Quinkan Member

This is my second paludarium, and in the first I made I put dart frogs, which are thriving there. My experience with geckos in general is that they are not big lovers of water. The tank is going to be a sort of stream bank theme, so there won't be too many plants, mostly some moss or babies tears creeping down from above. The bottom will be mostly aquatic, with sort of rock islands. I was thinking a form of newt because they can make use of both the land and the water, and enjoy the waterfall. I was thinking that a kind of crab or shrimp as something that would clean up scraps, and be able to spend more time in the 4-5 inches of water. Am I wrong in thinking this?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not familiar with aquatic dwelling species so I have no idea on that. However there are insects that do well on cleaning up feces and scraps as well.

5. Quinkan

Quinkan Member

Ok, thanks