This Disappears When Logged In

Water Snake

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by stormdas, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stormdas

stormdas Well-Known Member

Got a call from a friend to remove a snake from under his porch. Poor thing was caught in a net, reason why it was there since Tuesday. I know it's not venomous and believe it's a water snake just don't know if it's a blotched or a diamond back. Gonna do some first aid for a couple cuts and get it rehydrated before releasing it.
    b8225cb9.jpg
    fba9631b.jpg
    764dd621.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor guy, that looks painful! Good luck, hope he heals well!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The neorida species I am familiar with all have a patterning on their back and bellies. It could possibly be a coachwhip.

4. stormdas

After some research and some help from some local herpers, I found out it's a diamond back water snake.

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm glad you were able to rescue it from the net, and I hope it rehydrates, and stays healthy enough to thrive once it is back in it's natural surroundings.

6. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Poor thing. Thank you for rescuing it!

7. stormdas

Unfortunately he passed away Friday.

8. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Aww that's too bad :( Poor guy

9. mld

Thats too bad, sorry to hear that! It would have been a nice rescue and release type of experience!
    Get your friend to remove that net from under his porch, and hopefully there will be now more casualties from it!

10. stormdas

I removed it when I picked the snake up. The wierd thing about all this was there was no water source for 5 miles. I can speculate all day what happened but from keeping myself from going insane I won't. Lol

11. mld

That is weird!

12. stormdas

I think what happened was someone caught him in a net and took him home to remove the net, he escaped and ended up under my friends porch. A nieghbor of his told him that he keeps mothballs outside so it will keep the mice and snakes away. I have a feeling he got into those and that may of caused his death. Who knows, just a thought.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Just read this thread, sorry to hear he passed.