This Disappears When Logged In

Water Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Herp Habitat Construction' started by Bascom, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Bascom

Bascom Member

Hi been thinking about adding a water mon to my family for awhile because a reputable pet store nearby has a super tame baby.

I know the general care requirements but some info on caging etc would be helpful. I currently have a tegu and I had a juvie/baby sav monitor that I gave to a friend because his past from old age and I wanted to use his 75g to try to breed my sheltopusik

My tegu just got updated to a 10x6x4.5 and comes out every other day to free roam my bedroom and bathroom. He is currently just shy of 3 feet (about 2.5)
    Because I know someone is gonna ask

Anyway any help and/ or advice would be helpful. I have done my research and do know they eat a lot and grow fast so I want to have an adult enclosure ready.

Probably build an outdoor enclosure for the summer and free roam in the basement on cold/ winter days. My basement is HUGE water proof, and I can fit a child’s pool down there for him and put high power merc vapor bulbs in the ceiling Think this would work?
    The basement is at 70-80 without lights and a heater, I feel like adding a heater near a raised platform under a light would serve as a good basking area.

I also hunt and breed dubias so that can help the cost of food since these guys eat so much.

Any other info from people would be nice, also has anyone ever seen decent interaction between cats/dogs and their varanus salvator?? I would never force them to interact or anything but since they would be living in the same house I would want to do some intros while the monitor is small so it used to them as an adult in the event of an accidental exposure

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ll start with your last comments first; an adult Asian water monitor might eat the cat and dog (or at least try and attack them) the same is also true of the two mammals ("attacking" the monitor, at least) and you will never take the predator instinct out of the cat in particular.
    Roaches would be acceptable for a hatchling or juvenile, but I doubt an adult would be interested.
    Is the monitor you speak of captive bred?

3. Bascom

Bascom Member

CB/CH yes it is. Uknown hatch date. Apparently bred from a man in Florida they are willing to give his info on the day I purchase (if I do)

My cats are pretty worthless man. They sleep with my pet rats (with supervision) its the monitor Im worried about dogs and cats can be socialized to accept other species (with supervision)
    I agree though the adult would most definitely want to fight my dogs and eat my cats even if I do attempt to socialize them.. too much wild in monitors
    Yeah I figured a 5-9 foot water monitor would not be interested in dubias. My friend breeds rabbits he might give me the culls either way Im not too worried about feeding him he could eat a horse and I’d love him.

My main question/ concern is housing. My basement is pretty warm and 50-75% humidity depending on how hot the day is and I could give him his own pool as well. He’d have 50x35/40 sq feet to himself. But he’d have to be big and tame enough before I decide to do that. Right now he handles well but is too hyper and flighty and small

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How much are they asking?
    There`s no more "wild" in monitors than there is in most other animals (including the "domesticated" types)!
    What size of enclosure do you have in mind for current use? If you can maintain an ambient temp around 24c (75f) in the coolest parts and a minimum humidity level of approx 60% in the driest areas above ground your basement could work.
    I`ll reiterate about allowing your other animals to get close to the monitor especially as a younger (smaller) specimen it will very likely cause it a huge amount of stress, they`re at their most wary and vulnerable at that time.

5. Bascom

Bascom Member

They are asking 225$

I was thinking of using my old 75 gal as a grow out tank then switch to a dog crate when he’s older and calmer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I paid around £150 sterling 3 years ago for a wild caught hatchling, which compares somewhat to what they`re asking for a captive born and bred specimen. What price do they usually go for in America (wild caughts)?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  7. Bascom

Bascom Member

Unsure but apparently he’s not been selling so they made him cheaper.

CH are going for 150
    WC are going for under 100
    Online in the states. So he’s at what I’d expect a CB baby to be, if not more

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would take their ccb claim with a pinch of salt, the owner or true captive bred animals would surely be eager to show photographic/video evidence as it happened?

9. Bascom

Bascom Member

no I have been buying animals from them for 2 years. They told me straight up my sheltopusiks were WC and told me the normal ball I was interested in was WC so I don’t take them as the kind to lie, especially when they know I’m a loyal customer and they do have the breeders info

Also they are handling it on a regular basis to help tame it. So when they take the time to do that they have my trust. Few companies would take time out of their day to do so especially one that can be as busy as they are

Its also where I got my CB Red tegu, Bascom.
    Although he was bred out of country (and they told me so)
    Ill take their word if they give it to me.

Anyway.

Any additional tips for me? Like as a juvie how often should he be fed and how much? Let him be a glutton? Or feed every other day?

Feed whole prey once a week or more often in addition to fish dubias supers and organs

How often should I supplement him? I supplement my tegu every 2-3 days with calcium every other time

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you say what type and size of enclosure you plan to use if/when you get the monitor?
    If the animal is a juvenile you can feed daily, but still make sure that you only offer as much energy as the monitor uses (even though much of it will go on growth at this stage).
    Whole prey items are far superior, no need for feeding any meat mixes or offal. If you offer a decent percentage of vertebrate prey no supplementation is needed (much of it is pure guesswork anyway, some of no benefit) the best way is to make sure the feeders are well fed.
    I advise offering fish, either fresh or saltwater (not live) rodents (again f/t or f/k) inverts including other sea/freshwater food such as shrimp/prawns etc, fertilised quail eggs, quail chicks if you can get them, day old chicks (anything too big to be swallowed whole can be chopped up before defrosting).

11. Bascom

Bascom Member

Currently it’s less than 1foot in length. So I was thinking of using an aquarium until it grew another foot or so, then moving it into my bathroom, then moving it into the basment.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If it`s a V. salvator macromaculatus are usually 12 to 15 inches at hatching? Fishtanks and varanids do not work well at all for a variety of reasons; they offer no privacy, you are coming at the animal from above as a predator would do, and repeatedly rehousing them can be extremely stressful. Just because petshops do these things doesn`t make it what best. There is absolutely no reason the monitor could not go into an "adult sized" enclosure from day one.
    It sounds as if you want basically want to free roam it which again seldom works. 100_1716.JPG 8420904487_d21a8ec336[1].jpg 100_0963.JPG 7846322500_b254d8d653[1].jpg

Dbld420 likes this.