This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Worries :(

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by cassicat4, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well we know Nemisis isn't gravid the. As her appetite has dropped off! :p
    Ok next question is how soon after we suspect them of being gravid should we look for eggs?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan did you mean to say that the appetite will decrease?
    I know with gravid iguanas the appetite will decrease and they will eventually stop eating since with all those eggs there isn't any room for food!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Merlin, no I meant in the beginnning the appetite increases (then before laying decreases as you say), so I thought as the OP stated the dragon had quite suddenly increased in weight it may be a sign of gravidity?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it could mean she may be close to depositing eggs if she is gravid, it usually takes a couple of months.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

will they seem to loose weight then as they get closer to laying the eggs?

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Update - for the last few days, Nemesis has been eating consistently better. I've been offering her kingworms (which she is really enjoying) along with crickets, the occasional pinky and butterworm, and mealworms. While she doesn't eat as many food items as she used to, she is still looking pretty chunky, so maybe she's getting enough for her size? Or the other option, as mentioned, is that she could be gravid. :p

I wanted to have her new enclosure completely ready to go this weekend, but alas, there were a couple of more setbacks (i.e. parts not working) so some fixes will have to be made before it's ready to go.

This is my concern - how do I lessen the stress of the move? I've heard some CWDs have a really hard time being upgraded, whereas others absolutely love it. Mine gets stressed from even minor changes in her current enclosure, and I did put her in her new one while I was working on it to get her used to it, and she was stressed right out, turning dark green and clinging to a branch and not moving. I don't want to move her and have to fight with getting her to eat again considering the issues I've had getting her to eat currently. Am I worrying too much for nothing?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s almost always stressful when they are put in a new environment, I usually try and use some of the things that were in the old enclosure; branches, rocks, substrate (or whatever you use for the floor). Always allow plenty of time for them to settle in, and just do necessary cage maintenance.

8. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok, thanks. Will it be like when I brought her home for the first time? That kind of stress/behavior I should expect?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Offer plenty of hiding spots as she will probably spend a lot of her time out of sight for a week or two as she gets used to the enclosure. It may even take a month or longer, but until she is running around and crazy don't handle her as you don't want to add to the stress. The only time the cage should be opened while she is adjusting is for clean up and feedings.

10. luci

luci New Member

they both look like mine. we've been debating female or male, I've been saying female, now I'm convinced.

11. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Im having the same problem water dragon aged round 5-6 months he aint eating much and he is shedding his upper body he usually eats alot ... Temps were the same as (cassicat4's) b4 he adjusted them i will be adjusting mine now