This Disappears When Logged In

Water dragon tails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pri_nce33x, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pri_nce33x

pri_nce33x New Member

Do Water Dragon tails grow back after they have fallen off?

2. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I am reasonably sure they wll, however they will not look as good, or be as strong. I know with a lot of other lizards it depends upon what kind of damage was done, how clean the break was, and where the break was. If you have one that broke, I would take all the medical precautions whether it grows back or not.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

What sort of damage was done to the tail? was it a clean break or a nasty mangled infection or gangrene or what? For the tail to even heal properly you need to know the soarce of the loss and if it is an infection it has to be properly treated.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Is it just the tip or the whole tail. I know that the tips will not grow back, but not sure if the whole thing will regenerate. As Lac said, can you give us more detail.

5. joeking

joeking Elite Member

I didn't think water dragon tails 'fell off'

6. venus

venus Founding Member

From Tricia's site:

The end of the tail may also snap off if grabbed in an effort to keep the struggling animal from getting away, or may even drop suddenly when the animal is frightened by something (although this last is least likely to occur with water dragons).

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

One of my water dragons lost half of his tail and it did not grow back at all after a year so it's safe to say that no...they don't grow back, sorry.

8. pri_nce33x

pri_nce33x New Member

it was a clean break off, just the last inch of it was broken off when he got caught between a rock and log and it just came off.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How old is the dragon? I know with iguanas that loose their tails a younger one is more likely to regenerate well than an older one.

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

My water dragons were fairly young when the tail broke off of the male and it never grew back even a little. The tail will not grow back but will heal and be blackened at the end if it's anything like my male's. Use a Neosporin or something similar to keep infection away. They aren't like iguana's in the respect of the tail regenerating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.