This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by shwknight, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ok, I know this was kind of gone over in a closed thread, and i've already read Tricia's plant guide, but she is a little vague (don't think spellings right but the spell check didn't give me any options ;) )

My question is...are all Dracaena, hibiscus, ficus, philodendron, and epiphyte's ok for a CWD? Or, are there certain plants in those...strains? categories?... that are bad? I've searched everywhere i know to figure this out and still don't know. (i'm also computer illiterate :p )

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just type in toxic plants in your search engine and it will give you several lists.
    Draecenas are known to be toxic if eaten.
    And a lot of how you are going to be keeping the plants will matter. As in are you going to plant them in the substrate or keep them in their posts.
    Many of them do not like their roots to be constantly damp and require that the soil dry out almost completely between waterings. This can be problematic in a high humidity cage where you are constantly misting.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ok, i think there is some discrepancy here :(

Merlin says Dracaena is toxic but the list Liz linked me to says they are ok. This is sooooo confusing :(

Everything going into my viv is going to stay in planters for the time being as i think im going to use indoor/outdoor carpet at first. As Buddy gets bigger i might switch to a coco fiber/organic potting soil substrate and have moss and pothos planted but i think everything else will stay in planters.

5. schlegelbagel

I would then err on the side of caution then. If its OK on one site, but not OK on another, then don't use it. You have to remember, it also depends on what you are putting in there. Some animals are going to eat it, which could have ill effects, but other animals are not.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well, my CWD is going in there and i would have liked to have had some variety in there but if it's even a slight possibility of being a hazard it's not even going to be considered (i'm a first time herp owner and i'm paranoid ;) ) Buddy is my baby and want to make sure he lives a long healthy life so i do alot of research and since i found this site i ask ALOT of questions :p;)

7. schlegelbagel

There are some plants in that list that are OK to keep, but cannot be eaten. You want to concentrate on "edible" plants as a just in case.

8. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I wouldn't worry much about toxic plants if it's not for an animal that eats plants. Veilds will eat ficus and it's toxic if eaten and I've never seen one die from eating the leaves. Male veilds like them so much the'll eat the plant bald if they have the time to. Most lists you'll find will list alot of plants that a commonly eaten by one animal or another but will make us sick if we eat them. Most herps are fine with any type of plant and wont eat them. I would really only worry about plant eating herps and toxic plants.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also have to remember that most of those lists are based around what has been found toxic to humans, or dogs and cats, or farm animals. There really hasn't been all that much study based solely on reptiles, with the exception of plant eaters like green iguanas. However I am cautious. I choose to err on the side of caution, and if there is the slightest possiblity of it harming my animals it isn't going to be used.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I agree Merlin :)

That's why i'm asking so many questions ;)
    I'm new to all this stuff :eek: (herps, plants, building stuff ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.