This Disappears When Logged In

Water Absorbing Crystal for Breeding Blatta Lateralis Please Help!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by pop, Jul 31, 2014.

1. pop

pop Active Member

I have one question.Can I use water crystals(the ones used for plants) for my blatta lateralis colony?Can I also use water crystals from regular baby diper just like shown here(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXb8rJ8Rm3I)?
    In my country there is no way to get water crystals intended for insects.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The ones for plant are ok, but I have no idea about the ones in diapers.

3. pop

pop Active Member

As I understand the polymers in the baby diper are just for one use(here explained at 5:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJ9gNmeAlA) and the question is do the polymers for plants last longer(they absorb water-water evaporates,absorb water-water evapotrates ...... ?????

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always used the ones for plants.

5. pop

pop Active Member

Do they last longer(water gets in them and evaporates) or just for one use?
    So you are saying that they are good for insects?

6. Merlin

Honestly, the ones for insects started out as the one for plants. They just repackage them and jack the price up.
    And you can use them over and over again. They don't degrade. However they will get nasty from the roach droppings etc getting in there so you will have to change them out. But since you only need a tablespoon or so to water the roaches, its very economical.

7. pop

pop Active Member

8. Merlin

And I have never heard of any of them just lasting for one use. You have to keep in mind that the video you linked to is attempting to sell you THEIR product. This polymer is basically a "sponge" absorbing and releasing water over and over again.
    This is the same product that is used in the "Cool ties" that you wear around your neck in heat. I have some of them that have been in use for 10 years!

9. pop

pop Active Member

These crystals are found in regular baby dipers so can I use them as well?

10. Merlin

I wouldn't. You don't know what sort of additives may be in there.
    And since most diapers have a fragrance to them I wouldn't use it.