This Disappears When Logged In

wasps

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by furryscaly, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Last night I caught a hive of paper wasps while they were sleeping. Its a small hive, only containing 11 adult females, but each cell has either an egg, larva, or pupa in it :D I've kept wasps before, I even have a few steel-blue cricket hunters and a cicada killer, but I've never maneged to catch an entire hive before.

I've been feeding the adults on fruit juice, and giving them insects for them to feed to the larvae. Adults in the wild eat nothing but nectar (and people's soda). They kill other insects, dismember them, and chew them into a pulp to be fed to the larvae. So far mine have completly dismembered a robber fly and several grasshoppers.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

ewwwww! lol but that's an interesting thing to hear about. never knew that before now. :)

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That's extremely interesting and gross!!! Where are the pics???

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Someone buy me a camera! lol, well, this is the best pic I could get with my webcam. As if the webcam wasn't crappy enough, the lighting in my room is terrible and I needed to shine a flashlight on them for this picture. Despite that, I think its possibly the worst picture ever posted on HC :p The white spots on the hive are the silken caps spun by the larvae so they can pupate underneath them.

[​IMG]

5. venus

venus Founding Member

I must say you have an interesting array of critters. Although quite awesome.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

What I'd really like someday are a giant ichnumen wasp (Megarhyssa atrata) and an individual, or small hive of japanese giant hornets (Vespa mandarinia). Their bodies can get 2 inches long, and they're not thin either, so that's one beefy wasp! The ichnumen gets 6 inches long, but most of that length is ovipositor.

Here's a giant ichnumen:
    http://bugguide.net/images/raw/SLPZ...H8ZIHCHRLAH0LBZ5LJH6HNZ6HJH2HLRWHNZ5LWZ4L.jpg

and here's a japanese giant hornet. Keep in mind its 2 inches long! On my monitor, it shows up life-sized.
    http://www9.plala.or.jp/tokyoinsects/oosuzume.JPG

7. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

**** shudders*****

all I have to say ...Lyn

8. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Furryscaly,

NO BEES, HORNETS, or WASPS will EVER live in THIS house.....thats what they make "RAID" for! Sorry bud!

Steve

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

LOL To each his own I guess :rolleyes: I love the things :D

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

When i read your first post i had to laugh, you'll catch anything won't you! They sound very interesting though, insects are amazing to study. Hope they do well for you, (and don't let any escape i doubt your family would be too impressed :p )

11. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool Matt,,,,I must say your interests in all creatures is exhilarating,,,I look forward to the pics you post along with the stories.

12. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Very interesting!Thanks for sharing.

13. Denma

Denma Active Member

Hey Matt do you have any of those africanized bees that kill other bees. Now their cool. Lol just wondering.

14. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

anything on youe wishlist live in PA? i see quite a variety of wasps and hornets around but i'd rather not keep them myself i like how they look but they do scare me

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, nope. Killer bees are actually a hybrid between the European honey bee and the African honey bee. They were created by people in an attempt to get a greater honey yield from the bees. Individually, they're no more dangerous than a normal bee, but unlike normal ones, killer bees attack in gigantic swarms, and will chase an enemy a lot further than the typical bee. It also takes less to provoke them.

Not much on my wasp list that lives around here I'm afraid. Giant icheumons live further west, and japanese giant hornets live in Japan (imagine that!). Here's a really cool video showing what giant hornets do best. I want I want!! :D

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/835/

16. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

How in the world did you catch them...and what are you keeping them in? How do you feed them without them escaping?

(I'm phobic of all members of that family, but I can still appreciate them aesthetically).

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

There's only about 6 adults, so they live in an empty Ocean Spray juice container. The only time wasps ever fly in the wild is to search for food, ward off enemies, and in a few cases, a place to raise young. So they don't require a whole lot of flying space, just enough to fly to food and fly back to the nest (they're not crazy about walking teh whole way ;)).

I can't open the top of the enclosure, because the nest is wood-glued up there. I cut a trap door in the side near the bottom, and that's where I get the food in and out. It's duct taped shut most of the time. I use a forceps, or sometimes my fingers, to reach in and grab the edge of their dish to pull it out.

I saw the nest on a low edge of a building one day, so I came back at night with a Ziplock bag. I held the bag over the nest, and then quickly snapped the top shut, which severed the connection between the nest and the building, trapping the entire nest and all the wasps inside the bag. At their location, they would have been sprayed down anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.