This Disappears When Logged In

Warning! Graphic Feeding

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by JoeyG, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Okay it's really not but I didn't want to catch anyone off gaurd ;) Feeding night for a stubborn little fellow I know. Two finches later and I'm sure he'll be settling in right next to the heat tonight:D Recon is like a little sniper shooting across his cage at them and the thing is he goes from dead sleep to latched on in seconds! So much for being worried about him feeding in his new home :) Enjoy the pics!

Attached Files:

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Awesome!!!! I want one now lol

3. JoeyG

I love them!

4. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

So do they just sit on a log?

5. JoeyG

Honestly most of the time.... yes LOL! The little one is more active but my adult female is quite lazy I guess :D They seem content to just sleep they're life away. They'll move around at night for a little but by then I'm usually sleeping anyway. Now you open her cage at night and then watch her move!

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Haha. Someday ill have to get one

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wasn't expecting a finch, isn't that more expensive then a rodent or chick?

Looks like your guy is liking his new home :D

8. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

What size/type enclosure is that? It looks good. Where did you get finches from?

9. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

Why cute finches?? You should pick ugly ones!
    Poor little birdy, but happy little snake ;)

10. JoeyG

They are unfortunately :( Been having feeding issues that I'm trying to work through, although as you can see not very well since I'm still doing birds. A work in progress we'll call it, but it is fun to watch and not smelly like mice :)

It's an exo terra 12x12x12 for now. He's been very difficult and had issues before when I tried moving him out of the tub so we're going slow. I have several others I plan on moving him into, but I'm going slow with him. He seems to need his privacy and security more soo then some others I've seen. I get the finches at the petstore :) I don't tell them what they're for though :)

Unfortunately for the finches they just happen to be the size I need :) I really am working to get him off the birds, but despite the great advice I've received and all the things I've tried we haven't broken the habit yet. Believe me I wish he was on mice!

11. mld

Best of luck with him, hopefully his feeding response will get better:)

must be a male, lol

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it looks like those are Gouldian finches (I used to keep them in Oz)? There`s really no difference in feeding those or feeding chicks, I think it`s just that many people will find the finches "prettier", and more like pets than prey!

13. mld

Chicks are cheaper! lol

14. JoeyG

They're zebra finches. I look for the cheapest ones :) I don't worry too much about prey though. They're just food nothing personal against them. I would love to fine a source for chicks though, that would be awesome and I wouldn't have to worry about switching him over :) Actually I am hoping it's a male ;)

15. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Check your local Craigslist farm and garden section. It's chick season!

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Great pics Joey!
    I'm still a bit concerned that birds will not offer enough nutrition for the little guy. (Contrary to common belief: birds are not on a chondros natural diet plan) As babies, wild chondros generally feed on tadpoles, frogs and small lizards. (it must be instinctual as I noticed that our hatchlings would dip their heads in the water dish at night and move it around in a search pattern.)
    As they get older, they feed on small rodents. Thus the hanging down in strike position pose at night.

Joey: you might try seeing if Recon will switch to F/T chicks first, then use the chick down to cover and scent a pinkie mouse. Or at least when he's still in feeding mode after you feed a bird, to immediately offer a scented mouse: He might take it if he still has a strong feeding response.
    Don't give up trying to switch him to rodents! You may have to REALLY "stress" him (hit him with the mouse till he bites at it in anger) to get him to make the switch. He will get over it. Greg Maxwell says he's had babies go to ground and curl up in a ball to get away from his teasing/hitting , but he'll corner them and keep thumping them with the mouse until they finally react and take it.
    (I actually had to go that far with one or two of our babies in the beginning too. It seems really cruel, but it was necessary: they are all well-adjusted good eaters now.)

18. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes they do, during the day, but at least you can SEE them!!
    With my ball python, all I see is the log or rock he sleeps under!!
    The males move around a lot more at night. The adult females just move from their sleeping spot, to their favorite eating spot.

19. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

That was awesome! He is goregouse, where did u get him from?

20. JoeyG

I really have taken your advice, but I gave in when he started to get thin. I was worried so I was weak :) I've talked to several people and I do know that birds are not the best for them, thus I'm feeding two at a time for some nutrion. I have tried little green tree frogs and little lizards, I've hit him with mice (as a side note they know who's really hitting them because he has gone for me and not the mouse!). I'm working on getting some weight back on him and then we'll go through it again :( I'm trying to track down some chicks too, but it seems hard to find anything so I may have to order online. Thanks for all your advice and support though. The breeders has been really awesome on working with me aswell but switching him over is just something I need to learn to do for myself if I'm going to go ahead with plans for breeding some very very far day from now :(

I got him from a local breeder actually. He has some awesome looking adults he's using for breeding. He doesn't have any babies right now, but let me know if you ever want his info. The guy is awesome and extremely proffesional.