This Disappears When Logged In

wantin rainbow boa but confused on a few things

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Disturbedcries87, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Josh, he mentioned in an earlier post that he is not keeping the burm.

Disturbedcries87: good for you that you're asking a lot of questions and doing your research on these great snakes! You'll be happy you figured it all out and got everything set up well before-hand as these snakes are not as forgiving as corns for mistakes in husbandry!

I recommend checking out this site for more info about them: http://www.rainbowboa.co.uk/care.php

Also, as stated, it's better to house the rainbow boa in a good-sized sterilite container with the correct proportions than to try to make a vertical tank work. I believe a lot of folks here use human type heat pads that you can get at Walmart pretty cheap. (Just make sure it doesn't have an automatic shut off!) Just put it under one-third of the box and check the temps in different places in the tank and make adjustments as needed. For spot checking temps as well as checking the temp of the food, I recommend getting a TempGun (Radio Shack sells them or you can get them online: google tempgun.)

As far as being able to see your snake in a sterilite container: some people cut out windows on the sides and replace them with clear plexiglass or glass siliconed onto the inside of the box. Again you'd want to do all this way before getting the snake so you can make sure it holds, and the fumes have dissipated before putting your snake inside. Do NOT use duct tape (or any kind of tape) inside the enclosures: they won't stick where you want them but they WILL stick to your reptile!
    You'll want to make sure that you can secure the lid VERY well. These are strong snakes and will escape if they can.
    Also rainbows spend most of the daylight hours under the hideboxes... I usually only see mine late at night when she comes out to drink and cruise the terrarium or climb her tree. So, although they are amazingly beautiful, it can be disappointing to never see them out in the daytime. Most boas and pythons spend the day hiding. So if you're used to day time snakes, this can be a disappointing realization.

Good luck and keep asking questions. Your future rainbow will be glad you did! :)

2. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

jshrad i have a burm and giving him to my friend

3. Disturbedcries87

hey thanks um wht if i make a tank out of plexiglass?? and silcone with one door would this work?? im not sure if i can make it but i can try. but thanks for the info and i will be checking tht link out to read up some more on rainbows

4. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I did read the earlier post but I am still concerned. Why would you purchase the burm and then give it away. Enough about that.

Good job on asking questions and good luck on getting your new snake.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

In the interest of keeping the peace, can I just say that sometimes you decide to get something that you think would be great and realize later that it's not what you expected or were prepared for.
    It's not easy when it's an animal... but Disturbedcries87's friend already has experience with Burms, so he's done a good job finding it a new home with someone who wants it. (Not easy re-housing a burm).

Asking lots of questions is the best way to make sure that what you buy is really what you want, expected and are prepared for.
    That's why I brought up the fact that rainbows are almost never seen in the daytime. I was quite disappointed when I found that everytime I looked into my terrarium all I saw was the enclosure furniture... one reason I decided to make my terrarium look really nice. :)
    Disturbedcries87: I'm not sure about making a terrarium out of plexiglass. It scratches pretty easily and you'd have to find the right kind of stuff to glue it together. (I think it requires a special PVC glue.) You might want to build a sturdy frame out of wood or aluminum.
    If you get a baby rainbow it can do well in a sterilite container for quite a while, which will give you more time to save up and either build an enclosure or buy one that is the right size/proportions.

6. Disturbedcries87

ok yes i have dicided on get the sterilite container im going tommorrow to get it i have school today and work but im picking one up thursday. along with a new hide ended up putin it in oreos cage so. beeding im think sypruss mulch or repti bark or a mix well thanks for the help im sure im going to be asking more questions when i get him but for now im ok thanks im get the box an a heat pad 2morrow thanks for the help and ill take some pics of him when i get him im not sure about the name yet though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.