This Disappears When Logged In

wantin rainbow boa but confused on a few things

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Disturbedcries87, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

i love snakes i have a burm an a king as of now but i want a rainbow boa badly and i found one thts really nice a baby now older than 6months maybe 7 tops. i have a 20gal high tank as of now to put him in thts free and the intire hot side cold side is confusing me how do i keep one side of the tank cold and other hot?? i found the ceramic heat emitter but dont understand how i can use a therostat to keep the temp steady how do i do tht? im sorry there dumb questions but i want the best for the rainbow for when i do get him what do i need and how do i go about of setting it up?? thanks and im new to the forum.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Welcome to HC. Creating a heat gradient is not difficult, especially in larger enclosures. If you place the CHE on one side of the enclosure, that side will be warmer than the other side. A rheostat or thermostat will allow you to adjust the amount of heat that the CHE is outputting. In conjunction with the thermostat/rheostat, you will want/need a good thermometer. (Digital is best.)

When all of these are used together, you can create the temperatures that the snake will need.

How are you currently housing the other snakes? They too should have a heat gradient.

3. Disturbedcries87

i just have a heat lamp on them now but it doesnt work to well and about the thermostat how does it control the temp in the cage? it only reads the temp right? and could i possibly get a list of things i need to have a good set up i dont understand how a thermostat will control the heat plz help me again

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Firstly, I suggest you don't even consider getting a rainbow boa right now - research, research, research. Do you even know what temps you are going to need to sustain? Or humidity levels? Or anything about the history of this species?

I have to admit, I don't mean to offend, but I am very concerned that you don't know how to keep a temp gradient when you already have two snakes - what temps are you keeping your other snakes at? And in what conditions? -they are separate with the correct temps etc aren't they??

My advice is to make sure you are looking after your current snakes properly before you get another, and thoroughly research this snake's needs before buying it.

5. Amber

Amber Elite Member

If you don't know about heat gradients, how are you keeping your other two snakes?
    A 20gal high would be no good for a rainbow, they need lots of humidity, mine are in contico boxes which work great, keeping the kind of humidity they need in an aquarium would be very difficult, for a baby rainbow especially as they need higher humidity than adults at around 90% I do believe.

Rainbows are awesome snakes, but not the easiest to care for, I spent a while reading through forums and care sheets before I got mine, and without doing so, if I had tried to keep them like my other snakes, I doubt they would be alive (humidity issues). Good luck!

Also you probably wouldn't want to be using a heat lamp with a rainbow, as they seem to dry out the air in the cage.

6. Disturbedcries87

yes my snakes r seperate and hides water bowls etc.. and my current snakes temps r king is at 86 day night 78 and my burm is around the same and r in good conditions the way i stated tht was wrong the rainbow is different than snakes i have they require more humidity and by the way a heat lamp u can use them with a rainbow just have to mist the cage

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are confusing a thermostat and a thermometer. A thermostat is essentially an electronic switch. The heating unit plugs into the thermostat. When a certain temp is reached the thermostat shuts off the heating device. When the temperature drops below a certain point it turns it back on.

8. Disturbedcries87

ohh ok i got it now thanks would it be ok to have a rainbow in a 20high tank and with a ceramic heatin light and steady temp of about 79F an night temp of 70F and mist the cage everynow and then

9. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Nope, those temps are too cool, a rainbow needs to be kept around 86-88°F at the warm end down to 78°F at the cool end, these are important as they don't tollerate temps outside of this range very well, and as for misting the cage 'every now and then'....you must insure the correct humidity level for rainbow boa esp. when they are young, you need to maintain 75-80% when young, this can drop to 60-70% when adult......I suggest you read more about what you intend to get and listen to the advice that is been given...

This is fine for the King but the Burm needs a hot spot of 90-92°F with an ambient of 86°F down to 78°F at the cool end, but it must have access to a hot spot.....I too suggest you learn more about the snakes you currently own before embarking on keeping a rainbow boa, as these are far less forgivinig of mistakes in husbandary

10. Disturbedcries87

i knw alot about my king and far as the burm goes i will not have him for to much longer a friend loves burm and currently owns 2 and wants the one i have so im going to allow him to have it so by the end of this week i will only have oreo my king snake. how would i keep the humidity up in a 20high tank? for rainbow boa

11. Joe

Joe Elite Member

I would get a different tank, a 20long would be better as the reduction in height will make it easier to keep humidity up. The best way is to use a substrate like forest bedding or sypruss mulch something that will not mould when wet, then kepp half of the substrate quite moist, this will keep the humidity levels up, also have two water bowle on on the cool end and one on the warm end, this too will keep the humidity up, all that plus a couple of mists a day will keep the humidity ok, my advise would be so set the tank up a week before you get the snake and have thermometers and hydrometers in there to test temps and humidity to make sure it is setup properly before the snake arrives

12. Disturbedcries87

hey thanks alot you really helped me alot, i have no room for another tank right now so i would have to use the 20high for at least a month or so till i can get another one but tht sounds good so i need sypruss mulch 2 water bowls thermometer ,hydrometer ( digital ) a ceramic heating light a thermostat to control the temp does that sound good ? and the 20long will have to wait because of room for a longer tank. and just mist the cage with a water bottle spray right?

13. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

A 20 high will be hard to keep humidity up and hard to get a good temperature gradient. I would suggest getting maybe a large sweaterbox instead. If you keep him in an aquarium, you will run into humidity issues.

14. Disturbedcries87

sweaterbox?? u cant have anything for them to climb in and cant see them can you?

15. Amber

Amber Elite Member

They are ground dwelling snakes though, mind don't climb very well, as much as they like to try, hehe.
    Yesh you CAN use a heat lamp thing, but its easier to use a heatpad.
    Sweaterboxes are good, I can kind of see mine through it.

These often don't make good 'pet' snakes. Many do, but then many are shy, and don't like too much handling.

16. Disturbedcries87

hows the heatpad easier and where can i get a sweaterbox at and can i fit a hide and water dish in it?

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are talking about sterilite containers. And you can get them almost as large as a 40 gallon tank! The heat pad just goes under the tank and you don't have to worry about suspending the heating devices. And as stated they are excellant for holding humidity.

18. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I'm going to reitterate what others have said - I'm not exactly sure of the conversions, but a 20L is not really right for a rainbow boa. Right now we have ours in plastic tubs in a racking system, heated by heat cable. They are about to move into wooden vivs as they require more room. We heat our wooden enclosures with the ceramic heaters, but you must use a thermostat with these as they get very hot - also you must have a guard over the heater as they will cause burns if the snake is allowed to get near the heater.

My next question is what kind of rainbow boa are you wanting to get? A Brazilian? A Columbian? There are many sub-species out there.

Also, just to return to your burmese python - how big is it right now? I suggest, even though it is going to be re-homed with your friend - that you increase its temps and provide it with the right conditions, otherwise you may end up with a very poorly snake on your hands.

It's great that you are trying to find out all you can about these snakes before you get one, but I also suggest you have the right housing and set up before you acquire one.

I am editing a great article on rainbows for our reptile magazine, if you are genuinely interested I will ask permission from the author to pass it on to you so you can read more on them, although if you also look on the search engines on the net you will come up with a lot of info to make sure you are properly and thoroughly informed before you get one.

19. Disturbedcries87

hey merlin ok in one of those sterilite containers i can use it like a tank hide box water bowls like a reg. set up and still be able to see in it like a glass tank?

bitis im wanting a brazilian rainbow im finding out what i can before i even get one i love these snakes never owned one but im fasinated by them and want to make sure i have the cage ready to go when i get him. the burm is about 1 1/2ft long not to big and i did increase the temp to 91F day and night is 79-81F thanks for the help.

20. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Burms are 18"-24" when they hatch, so you are stating you have a hatchling? Not trying to be rude or anything but I don't think your quite ready for an adult burm. Try taking care of that before getting involved with other snakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.