This Disappears When Logged In

Want to Get a Frog...eventually

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by SweetDragonlady, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

I'll tell my wish list in a frog, and you guys tell me if I'm being realistic please? I have an 8 year old son who is just fascinated by the creatures and would be helping me care for it. He already helps me with Mr. Lizard, or little collared lizard. I would like a frog that is active during the day. That is not solely aquatic, but also goes on land. Not to small to eat pinhead crickets. Being handleable is not a requirement, but would be a plus. ... Any thoughts?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Not too many frogs are active during the day. Firebelly toads are, and they do good in half land, half water. They are very active and not too difficult to care for if you keep the setup simple.

3. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

What liz said :) I'd go with FBT. Just make sure your son or you do not pick up the frogs in your hands. frogs are more of a ''look at'' animal.

4. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I'm with Liz on this one. Fire Bellies are a really active frog during the day and fun to watch. Not too many frogs/toads are really able to be handled on a regular basis. Setups for fire bellies can be as simple or fancy as you like as long as there is some water and land areas for them. See the various care sheets for specifics but my setup is a 29G aquariums, half land half water with a lot of fake plants and such.

Attached Files:

5. schlegelbagel

They can even do with a large dish for water, that you pull out and change ever other day.

6. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

Is it difficult to filter a half and half tank? It looks beautiful Kazooguyz2! How well do fire bellies travel? If I were to find one (or a pair :)) the chances are the closest to home it would be is about 150 miles. :( That is, the closest pet stores are in St. George or Page, each 150 miles away. :(

7. schlegelbagel

They would do fine on the drive. You could even order them online and have them shipped.

The care for a half and half tank isn't so hard. You just need a divider and a filter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.