This Disappears When Logged In

Want to Build a Cage

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by adjecyca, Jun 13, 2014.

1. adjecyca

adjecyca New Member

My male red tail boa is currently 4 feet long, and i would like to build him a cage before the summer is up that he could stay in for life, but i am not really sure where to start, or what materials are safe/best to use, Also how much am i looking at spending price wise, I was hoping i could get away with only spending 200$ or so

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Are you planning on putting on a stand or on the floor?
    If you can find a stand on craigslist then plan out what size of enclosure you can fit on top.

3. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I'd go with 4 x 3 x 3 (melamine is good) and add some structure/shelving for him to use. I have 4 x 2 x 2 enclosures and 4 x 2 x 1 enclosures and I still think my reps could use more height. Boas love climbing and exploring

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I pretty much agree with Eric. Id do a 4x2x18" as a bare minimum, bigger is always better. Melamine is super easy to work with but its ungodly heavy, especially if you go very big with the cage. Plywood is much more labor intensive (you have to frame it, sand it, seal it, sand it some more, seal it some more) but will give you a lighter structure. How are your carpentry skills? If you somewhat know what your doing id do plywood. 200 bucks is a pretty reasonable budget I think. The only thing that may put you over that is your heating and lighting equipment, depending on what you want to use.

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Yeah especially Boas. They will climb if they have the room plus it will be 100x easier to clean, imo.