This Disappears When Logged In

Wall heat pad for Crestie

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Palaeomike, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

I just picked up a 2 month-old Crestie, and I've got him/her (too early to tell which) in a 450x450x450mm Exo-terra terrerium. Heat might be a little bit of a problem for a little while until I get my Herp room set up, so would a temporary wall heat pad be good enough or is it not a good idea? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I personally have no experience with Cresties, but would a CHE work for them? A Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) doesn't display any light, but does emit a nice amount of heat from above. A heat pad would not warm up the ambient air in the enclosure, so I would say it wouldn't be enough.

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Cresties come from a temperate environment, and prefer temps in the 65-75 range. Down to 60 is OK, I think. But 80 and above is too hot for them. So unless your room is terribly cold (as in, you have to wear a jacket in the house), you probably don't need heat for your crestie.

Anyone with more crestie expertise, please speak up. :)

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

From what I have read, I agree with Amy. For our cresties I do have a regular house bulb in a reflector at one end of the cage just to give a little more warmth in case they want it. Ours one tank in currently at 78.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What Amy said :D No need for a heat pad unless your temps are lower then 65 deg

6. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

The temperature is about 70F in the terrerium now, so that should work ok.

If I see any signs of stress, I'll increase the temp a bit.

7. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

That should work, ours stay a bit warmer due to all the lights, and heating pads going on in the room. Our house temperature is set a 70, just check the creasties cool side and it is 74. There are no lights or heating pads on yet as the timers haven't kicked on yet.

8. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Mine got as low as 16 celcius. Really they don't like it but it's okay. I noticed they didn't like hot, like 25 celcius, either.

I DISAGREE with the 60F, however. Closer to like 63ish or 65ish. That's awefully cold for New Caledonia...ever seen where it is geographically? Either way, I'd say he's fine but for a growing baby maybe a few degrees warmer.

Cermaic heaters + cresties = BAD NEWS Rich. I'd say a WEAK heat pad and remove it when if they spend too much time on it.

9. Joe

Joe Elite Member

I would say that for creasties, and gargoyles for that matter, temps in the range of 73°F - 78°F are ideal with temps at NIGHT going as low as 60°F but again 65°F - 70°F are better...

I would disagree with this statement, IMO Ceramic heaters are the best heat source for most reptiles, especially nocturnal ones...if the ceramic is properly guarded and controlled by a thermostat (which ALL heating devices should be) then the amount of heat they CAN emit is irrelevant because they will be emitting only the heat that is needed.

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Definitely. Ceramic Heat Emitters are fantastic, and when controlled by a thermostat are great for any temperature needs. I can't imagine having any heat source without a thermostat because they make it so much easier to achieve and maintain the desired temps.

11. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

This is from *The Man* itself (Allen Repashy):
    That said I will repeat what someone said with a little twist, instead of a common light bulb, use a spot light to narrow the hot place.

12. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

"I would disagree with this statement, IMO Ceramic heaters are the best heat source for most reptiles, especially nocturnal ones"

If you're willing to move it about 10 feet away from the cage, cause it'll raise temps alot (at least all the ones we have here, we don't have alot of selection, they all get VERY hot). I'd say the best bet is for an infrared with low wattage, but even then I've had a 40 watt heat up the cage waaaay too much fro my crestie. I personally would say NO on the heat pad, but his basement is cold, could just put it on the side there and raise the temp a degree or two, so long as the crestie wasn't spending all it's life there.

13. JohnC

JohnC Elite Member

If the viv is in a room that is warm during the day, somewhere in the 70s degrees F, you do not need any heating.
    This is how most people keep them.

14. venus

venus Founding Member

I didnt use one for my cresties either. My room temp stayed around 74-76 and they did just fine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.