This Disappears When Logged In

V's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dragoness, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If they are not hungry, the snake will ignore it. And at those temps it would be basically shut down.

2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Oh definitely. I didn't realize he'd been kept that cold, another reason I'm pretty impressed he made it.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He was very much shut down. Like I said, I was almost certain he was dead when I first pulled him out. he didn't move until I tried to open his mouth. Even then, it was token resistance.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He is going to shed again in the next couple days. I can't wait to see how much better he looks after this skin. The scars all have a silvery layer on them where the old skin is loosening up, and I can see dark spots underneath where there is new scales/pigmentation that will be a lot more visible after he sheds.

Pics will follow when he sheds! I need to go through all my pics of him, and make some good side by side before/after pics.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes definitely!

Curious how this shed will go, it's lucky that he's a boa, the boas I've worked with have generally given nice clean sheds, I can't imagine what you'd have gone through with say a retic in similar condition.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, this is his 3rd shed with me. The first was a shredded mess. The second came off much cleaner. This one should be a breeze! I am anxious to see how much wound closure is going on under that skin!

TamJam likes this.
  7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This has been an absolutely incredible thread in terms of interest, education and just your dogged and detailed devotion to getting this boa back to a life! Congrats again!

Dragoness likes this.
  8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Thanks! That skin he was working on came off! He looks FANTASTIC! ALL of his wounds have closed up, and there is a lot of scale encroachment and skin pigment developing!

Despite the pictures, everything is clean and dry, and closed, and skinned over. 2.21.15 014.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      165.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      139.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      133.5 KB
      Views:
  9. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Awesome improvement, was it a clean shed? Any idea how long for new scales to cover the scars? I presume he'll keep shedding more often than normal a while longer?

10. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

At the rate he is going, in a few more sheds you will hardly be able to tell he was badly injured, never mind knocking on death's door. Fantastic work and dedication!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Actually, his first two sheds with me were only a month apart. This third one was about 6 weeks after the last one, so they are not going as fast as I had thought they might, but the amount of improvement between each one is phenomenal.

12. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

He really does look awesome! Have you weighed him lately, how's his weight compared to when you got him?

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

his last weigh-in was the 4th, and he was back up to his weight-at-acquisition. (he lost a bit of weight while on the antibiotics.) I do need to weigh him again - the big 'dents' in his body around the wounds have filled in very nicely, and he looks bulkier in general.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He is very lucky to have fallen into your keeping.

TamJam likes this.
  15. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Wow!!! He looks incredible!! Great job :)