This Disappears When Logged In

V's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dragoness, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Also, just caught him drinking out of his dish. I just washed and refilled it this morning, and it had been in his cage only a couple hours. I can't attribute a 1" drop in water level to evaporation in just a couple hours. Guess he was thirsty.

2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Eating, drinking, another shed...this guy's on fire! Hopefully the next shed goes a bit easier than the last one.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't see how it couldn't go better!

I get to feed him again tomorrow night! very excited. Large rat this time, and then to feeding every 14 days after that, with suitable large prey item.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

He really seems to be in the clear. Nice work, it's so rewarding taking an animal out of an awful situation and getting him healthy and strong again.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Looks like I need not have worried at all:

V meal 030.jpg
    V meal 041.jpg

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He shed! This time it came off much better! Almost in one piece, and he looks absolutely fabulous!

The skin is starting to encroach on the wounds, and the scales are starting to once again cover all the places where skin was visible.

I can't wait to see how quickly he heals after his surgery. The surgery will close the wounds, and it should only take him a couple more sheds after that to get back to some semblance of 'normal'.

I'm not sure if the picture posting is working yet, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways:

Wounds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The skin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Woohhooo!! That's great news :) can't wait tell after the surgery. I couldn't open the images yet

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Jen the pictures are not showing.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Okay, lemme try this again. I wasn't sure if it was user error, or some aspect of the site not up and running yet.

Probably the former.

I'm used to uploading directly form the computer. It appears that is no longer an option, so trying to put in a URL from my Flickr account...

[​IMG]

Results in non-displaying photo, I guess. I still need to figure this out. In the meantime, Links are all I can manage, if those even work...

https://flic.kr/p/qjoD7m

https://flic.kr/p/qjoF8q

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

V4.JPG V.JPG V2.JPG V3.JPG Ha ha, I think I got it. What was I saying about user error?

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  11. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Looking better, still has a way to go but not so much like a lawnmower ran over him.

Dragoness likes this.
  12. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Omg!!! He is looking so much better :D his wounds are healing up nicely and the surgery ahould work wonders. He also looks more plump. Not so thin

13. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

He's definitely looking better, you can see it around the wounds. I'm curious how his surgery will go, and how he'll look after surgery and the next shed.

He's also a pretty nice looking guy, something else you can appreciate more as he heals.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Can't wait for that next vet appointment. I do want him to take another look at the 'cyst' on his belly. He tried to drain it once, thinking it was an abscess, but we now think it is a cyst, because no pus came out, just blood, and lots of it, and it needed stapling to get it to stop.

To me it looks bigger. I'll try and get some pics at some point.

I don't know if it's something to worry about or not. The vet says they are fairly common in older snakes. My biggest concern is that it might get snagged or stuck on something while he is moving around, and injure himself. It's like a thumb-sized fleshy protrusion under one scale....

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The cyst:

V cyst 005.jpg

16. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That doesn't look good, and the way you described the bleeding I'd be worried about him nicking it too. If it's something they just get with age I'm not sure what he can do...may just have to watch the sharp/rough edges in his enclosure, avoid mulchy stuff/rocks/rough wood etc.

17. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Since it is on his belly and the vet will already have V anesthetized maybe he could surgically excise the cyst after he does the wound stitching?

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That is something I am going to ask about tomorrow.

19. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I do think that would be the best thing, assuming he can and it's not the sort of thing that will just come back.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Don't know until we try, I guess. He has an appointment in about 2 hours. You guys will hear from me again afterwars. The weather is horrible: a whopping 2ºF, with snow coming down in blizzards.

One of my Christmas gifts was an adapter for the car. It's this handy little device that plugs into the cigarette lighter of your car, and has an outlet for a normal plug, so you can plug stuff in your car.

I'm using it to plug in an extra heat mat, because even with hot water bottles in his bin, and the car pre-heated, and heaters running full-tilt, I don't think it will stay warm enough for a 20 minute drive, 30 minute appointment, and another 20 minute drive back.

It has a limit of 100 watts, but that could be used for a heat mat, heat bulb, etc. The human heat mats I get from the drug store for reptile use are only about 50 watts. And they heat up a LOT faster than the car. Most of the specialty colored bulbs that give off plenty of heat and not much light tend to be 25-75 watts. Many of the radiant heat panels in my cages max out at about 100 watts. There are many possibilities.

We are brainstorming a custom snake transport device for the larger snakes. It will probably be something like a cooler (insulated), preferably the nice kind with wheels and handles. Minimal vent in one corner, and a radiant heat panel on the ceiling of it, connected to a thermostat, to keep the enclosure around 80ºF.

Little snakes are fine in a plastic shoebox inside a duffel bag with some hand warmers.

This is the power adapter I have:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-100-Watt-Power-Inverter-RD97100/203904564