This Disappears When Logged In

vomit or Poo?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Manhirwen, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I went to get my Brazilian Rainbow boa out to feed him today and noticed a slimy pile of hair in the bottom of his tank, it was still fresh which makes me thinks he vomitted it up.

I inspected it and found that it is indeed all hair. I've noticed hair in his poop before but they were always dried up little clumps of poo and this is wet and stinky so I don't know. It's been a week since he's eaten so I don't know if it still could be regurge. I left him alone all week and took him out of his cage yesterday to see if he still had a lump in his belly, it was slightly bulgy but not too bad.

If I didn't already meantion it, which I think I did in a previous thread, this was his first adult mouse sized meal.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences with this kind of thing as I'm not sure what to do with him. Should I wait a week even though it could be poo? Sorry for the long post, I just hate it when things go wrong. (which I don't even know for sure if they have)

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

if it's been a week I highly doubt it's a re-gurge. was there any "substance" to it ? a regurge will still have bone/tissue matter.

3. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

It was pure nasty matted together hair, I checked to see if there was ANYTHING to determine what it was, it was ALL hair.:eek:

4. venus

venus Founding Member

A regurge will also have a horrible smell to it.

5. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

It DID have a horrible smell! It was making me sick!

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree a week is pretty long for it to be regurge. Does he still have an appetite? This is not the way to start my morning with a coffee and a detailed hairy vomit thread.:rolleyes:

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hair is not very digestable and will stay intact for quite a while. Between that and the awful smell I would guess that it was vomit.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I was talking to a BRB expert so to say and hes had plenty of "hairball vomits" He stated the same reaasons as Merlin did. Its nothing really to worry about yet, unless it happens again soon then Id take him to the vet
    *EDIT* This is info I just recieved from a guy thats kept BRB for 14 years now lol...hope it helps.

Probably stressed or overheated. How accurate and how stable are the temps. Anything over 87 is deadly to a young brb...which doesn't exactly make that the ideal basking temp ya know? Bump that down to 84-85 and they really need a cool spot in the mid 70s and a gradient of everything in between. These snakes are pretty much 100% nocturnal and enjoy spending the day burrowed under cool, damp mulch. If your friend is using newspaper or carpet, she may as well just whack the snake in the head with a hammer. At night, they come out to hunt and love to climb through branches. Just some stress relief ideas to consider. Another thing to consider...NEVER feed a brb two or more prey items or they will puke. They don't really follow the same girth rule boa constrictors do.
    They handle meals slightly larger than girth very well...but just one and not too often. 7 days is ok for awhile while they are still on pink rats...5 day powerfeeding will kill them. 10 days is better...14 is better still. What I mean by that is, they grow freaky fast as it is. They like to stay cool so they have a slow metabolism and digestion rate. You do them more of a favor by spreading out their meals to a 2 week schedule. Something else about their girth rule exception...They are born about the size of a piece of yarn...not too much bigger than a baby cornsnake...yet, they take pink rats...NOT mice for the first meal.
    No brb should ever even see a mouse...ever. There's no reason. Mice fur is harder to digest for young snakes than the coarser rat hair. A fuzzy rat would be a much better choice than an adult mouse for many reasons...one being that they can hold it all down better.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It sounds like vomit. (I've got some first hand experience with my new boy Crais.) He's vomited up fur a few times. The slimy texture of it and the smell are good clues to go by.
    Vomit doesn't smell the same as stool and although stool sometimes has visible hair remnants, it usually has more brown matter to it.
    As far as reasons:
    You mentioned that the mouse was on the large side: it could be that his little system didn't have enough time to process the whole thing and he puked up the hair (which is the part they can't digest).
    I'd wait about 10 days to feed him again and feed something smaller next time. Make sure he has a good temp gradient with hide boxes on each end so he doesn't have to choose between warmth and security.
    Also just make sure he's not disturbed too much and has lots of fresh water daily. He'll be fine.
    There are lots of theories about rats vs. mice. I personally try to convert all my boids to rats ASAP and they seem to do well on them. I'm not sure if mouse hair is harder to digest but I've read that mice have more hair than meat to them whereas pinkie or fuzzy rats are all meat and very little hair.

You might want to have his next stool sent in for analysis. Crais had nematodes which might have affected his digestion. Since the treatment, he hasn't vomited again... fingers crossed!

Good luck with your little one! Keep us posted. :)

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I would love to switch him to rats if I had them available as pinkies. I bumped down the heat a little and bumped up the humidity so now the gradient is about 82f on the warm side and about 75f on the cool side and humidity was a little low (70%) before so now it's up at 80%.

I switched him from just bark to bark/peat mix because it keeps in moisture really well. I hope it's a suitable bedding for him. I read that they can handle moist habitats better than a lot of other snakes. Maybe I should shave the mice when I have to feed them to him.:eek: :rolleyes:

I'll try switching to rats if I can find any.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

does he eat live,f/k or f/t? Your local pet store should be able to order them for you if not maybe you should consider breeding? If he will take f/k you can just order online in bulk, youll save money and trips to the pet store :D

12. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I would breed them but I'm not allowed to keep live rodents in my apartment and my parents will let me breed mice at their house but rats...out of the question.

I've been trying to feed him F/T and it isn't taking, yet.:(

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I buy frozen rats for my snakes. The advantages are: I can order in bulk=cheaper, I always have rats on hand at feeding time, and the freezing process kills a lot of internal parasites in the rats.
    I believe a lot of people here order from www.rodentpro.com --- you could probably feed "pups" or "weaned".
    Some people like www.bigcheeserodents.com
    You can keep frozen rodents 6-12 months in a normal freezer. With your BRB, RTB and BP, you'd probably save a lot of money ordering bulk frozen.

There are quite a few tips here on HC about thawing and converting from mice to rats or from live, F/K to F/T if you need help. If you can't find them ask! :)
    PS -- I always keep a record of the weight of the rat(s) my snakes eat. That way I know what size to feed/order the next time.

14. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

That's a great idea Andrea! About the weighing the rats. Since I got a good scale I should be weighing everything. LOL:p

I did find where I can buy rat pinkies for a little while if they're available at the time, and I'm going to try to get him on F/T because I don't think live is good to begin with and it's just soooo much easier to feed F/T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.