This Disappears When Logged In

Vivarium safe plants?

Discussion in 'Poison Dart Frogs' started by Leolover14, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Leolover14

Leolover14 Member

Hi everyone! I am hoping to setup a vivarium ( housing dart frogs) in the next coming months, and I really would not like to buy my plants online. So, I would like to pick out plants from local gardening stores to find plants that will look great for my specific tank. Do any of you know of any safe (common) plants or house plants that work well in terrariums/vivariums? Just so you know the terrarium is a zoo med 12 x 12 x 18.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Bromeliads are usually a good choice for dart frogs, and I have seen those at garden centers, including wal*mart. Broms are nice because many of them will hold water in their centers, and darts frogs appreciate that. Many frogs appreciate that.

Since the dart frogs aren't going to nibble on the plants, there really isn't much to worry about. I would just aim for plants that will appreciate all the moisture - tropicals and rainforest dwellers, rather than succulents.

Pothos and Philodendron would do well in such a setup. Spider plants will root anywhere there is water, so they would, too.

I suspect 'lucky bamboo' would work as well.

Anthuriums would be great, but they get a bit large, and would require some continuous pruning to keep them small. Same for Alocasia.

If you can manage to find a Hoya at a garden center (i see them on occasion) they not only like humid places, but have some very pretty flowers as well.

A number of ferns would work out, too.

3. Leolover14

Leolover14 Member

Ok, thank you for the help!

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Here's the list on the site for edible plants (I assume its for herbivorous lizards or tortoises or something) but they could be planted for your uses as well. Although now that I look back a lot of these are desert plants, but its worth skimming through anyhow.

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-articles/edible-plants-list/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Leolover14

Leolover14 Member

Great! Thank you for the link.