This Disappears When Logged In

Vivarium Help! Corn Snake/ball Python

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by ashlyn, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ashlyn

ashlyn New Member

I'm wanting to get a baby corn snake or ball python and I was looking at vision vivariums and was wondering what size should I get? I was thinking if I get a corn snake I would get a viv but if I got a ball python I would use a tub what do you think about this? Just looking for some advice for my first snake/reptile!!

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Corn snakes and ball pythons need different tank sizes, as I'm sure you're aware of, and both make great pets. Corn snakes don't need tanks as big as ball pythons do. Most corn snakes need at least a 20 gallon and if you got a 2'x2'x18" vivsion tank it would work pretty well (unless for some reason you have an adnornaly large corn snake). If I were you and had the options between tanks and tubs, I'd go for tanks unless you're planning on breeding. If you do want tubs, I'm pretty sure an adult ball python needs a 42 quart tub (correct me if I'm wrong.) if you wanted a tank for a ball python a 3'x2'x15" will be okay. Same goes for here though, if you end up with a large snake, you may need to bump up the tank size. Also remember, the tank sizes are minimums. Going up a few inches or a foot won't hurt.

3. ashlyn

ashlyn New Member

Ok thank you :) I've also been looking at vivexotic vivariums and I think I'm liking the way they look a little bit more. Also I'm wanting to get a baby/juvenile and I don't plan on breeding.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think I would say almost the opposite on sizes and tub options. While corns are typically smaller and thinner bodied than a ball python, they are far more active generally, and will use the extra space. Whereas a bp tends to curl up in there hide and stay put, often even when given other options. So I would say same size caging for either will work, and yes a tub in the 41-42qt size range is big enough for either. In tank sizes a 40 or 50 breeder would make a nice choice for either.

5. ashlyn

ashlyn New Member

Ok, if I were to get a vivarium for a baby corn snake or even a ball python I'm still unsure, should I get a small viv dimensions are 22" wide 14" depth 16" height or could I get the medium which is 32" width 14.7" depth and 16.5" height.

6. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I'm pretty sure height isn't important for either. But I'd go with the bigger one if I were you.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is just me, but if your going for a nice display cage, go for the adult sized one right from the start. You can always use a tub to grow them out a bit before going to the big cage, or just litter the big cage with tons of fake plants and extra hides. This saves from buying a smaller cage that you'll end up having to replace later anyway.

Qwerty3159 likes this.