This Disappears When Logged In

Vivarium Drainage

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by TeoSnow, Feb 8, 2010.

1. TeoSnow

TeoSnow Active Member

I just finished my vivarium for my fire bellied toads. I have an area that's approximately 1' X1' with land. I have a 2.5-3'' layer of gravel, fiberglass screen, then the substrate with live moss and a small live plant from the pet store on top. I was wondering if this layer of gravel will be sufficient for drainage since the space is small and I will be adding water for the plant and moss through heavy misting.

I've seen some set ups with a "sump pump" and some with absolutely nothing...not even gravel or a false bottom.

Please let me know if you think this will suffice.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The roots of the plant should help your area. I didn't have any drainage for my FBT tank, but a big live plant and often needed to add extra water. My RETF tank wasn't so efficient for some reason, and i ended up adding a small PVC pipe down to the bottom, and would pull out water once in a blue moon, using a turkey baster. My white's tank has a drain in the bottom.

I find Pothos cuttings do great for drinking up extra moisture, so if you are having water logged problems, try adding a few into the dirt. The toads will like the added climbing anyway.

3. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Schlegelbagel can you post a picture of your FBT tank? Im probably getting some so i need some good ideas

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Its in my gallery.