This Disappears When Logged In

Viv-mates!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

beautiful snakes. i love the third pic and the very last pic you posted. so cute together. :)

2. dfr

dfr New Member

` The concern over cross contamination certainly is valid. General herpetoculture, and husbandry, along with the vast amount of critters bought and sold is the primary cause, in my opinion.
    ` When I get a new snake, it goes into a two year, strict quarantine. Herpetoculture is a lot more fun when you don't have to deal with diseases, or pests. If there is no disease there, there is nothing to be passed.
    ` I agree with you about recommending this practice. The general state of herpetoculture, husbandry, and buying and selling on a whim makes communal housing far too dangerous.

` I'm in the far Northwest corner of California. It's foggy, rainy, and clammy, here on the coast. Outdoor days for tropical herps are limited, as much of our summer is foggy, very rarely over 70 degrees. It is amazing how long it takes a 50 pound snake to cool from 85 to 70 degrees. I monitor their skin temperatures with an IR thermometer, and bring them in when they get down to 70, or so.
    ` Some of them will use me as a heater, when they start to cool. I've been tied to my "snake tree" several times by a big Boa, catching me with a coil. Or, if I sit at the base of the tree, they come down, get on me, and wrap me to warm up. So don't envy the weather here, it is often weeks between sunny days. Our local flower here is mildew. lol

[​IMG]
    `
    [​IMG]
    `
    ` This is a favorite picture. It takes me several hours to thaw 100 pounds of rodents, the snakes can smell them, and are queued up for dinner.
    [​IMG]

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Love that last picture! Like they're saying "Don't you just L O V E that slowly defrosting rodent smell ?? MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.