This Disappears When Logged In

Viv for Anolis Equestris

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by AjaMichelle, Dec 9, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hello,

My Cuban Knight Anoles (Anolis equestris) have seriously outgrown their current enclosure. I am getting their new enclosure on Sunday. It's a converted video arcade game so it's almost as big as a refrigerator. For those of you who aren't familiar with this species of Anolis, they are stout bodied crown giants. Needless to say, they wreck pretty much everything I put into their enclosure. I would really like to plant a small tree inside of the new enclosure.

I don't know how feasible this is, as it's been my experience that trees typically do not remain very small. How inconvenient lol

This enclosure will be high humidity and really bright, and will hopefully include a misting system so the soil will be fairly damp.

Any suggestions would be amazing.
    (Hey you with the giant tropical lizard!) :)

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I heard Dracaena marginata are good, but can get up to 7' tall. Schefflera aureus are also good, and only grow to about 3'.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You could always use a faux tree, or dead shrub/sapling and have real vines like Pothos growing on them!

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Other then bonsi I don't know any other tree that stays small. How about some nice vines and plants that grow out? What misting system were you thinking of? They can often be problamatic and not what you think they should be. ( I have 2 though) I've been using the exo-terra rs 400. Its okay for misting but it seems the timing is not what the dials say it should be. Not bad but it could be better.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm looking up Schefflera aureus now! :)

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That sounds awesome! Do you know where I would be able to get a faux tree that would stand up to the humidity and terrible equestris poops? Is there one with which you've had success?

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I will definitely include some vines. I have some philodendron and all of my animals love it. I was also thinking I could use Dieffenbachia. However, their toxicity with respect to herps is debatable and they're a mess when they grow near lights. I had one growing in my frog tank and it got to the point where I had to remove the entire plant because it was just going nuts and the leaves near the lights were growing and rotting more quickly then I could remove them.

As for the misting system, my boyfriend constructed one for our RETF tank from a powerhead pump, some tubing, and some misting heads and it's worked out really well but does leave the soil pretty damp. However, the soil doesn't become moldy and we ventilate the tank regularly so it smell awesome. :)

You are using the new Exo Terra misting system? Do you feel it's worth the price? I have been considering it but I already have my fair share of problems with timers.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bonsai is not a species but merely a method of training the way the tree grows. Literally translated, bonsai means "tree in a pot"!
    Look into ficus species. They are readily available and can be routinely trimmed without issue. And they like bright light and tropical temperatures. Also look at hibiscus plants as well as the various scheffleras.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! Ficus is what I have been thinking of using. I have looked into Scheffleras and have found a few I think will work. I will definitely look into hibiscus!

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks so much Michele! :)