This Disappears When Logged In

Vitamins or Calcium Supplements?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Jay Ras, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Ras

Jay Ras Active Member

Hey, my brother has Leopard Geckos and a Black Throat Monitor. Sometimes when he feeds them, he puts this vitamin/calcium powder on the crickets and/or meal worms.

I was just wondering, do snakes need vitamins or any other nutrients or do they get everything they need from rats and mice?

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I think they pretty much get what they need from the mice or rats. I've never really heard of using supplements for a snake. For the 5+ years I've had my snakes I've never given them any supplements. Pretty much whatever the mice or rats ate previous to feeding is what goes into your snake so if the feeders were given good foods then your snake is getting that as well.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What she said!
    Snakes really don't need supplementation. The materials in the rodent's stomach supply the extra vitamins and minerals.

4. moonlight spark

moonlight spark New Member

Hey, snakes don't need additional supplementing, it might even cause problems. As long as the mice that they get fed are good quality and well nourished, so will your snake be.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Most reptiles that eat whole animals don't need supplements, the liver of the prey provides the D3 as well as other vitamins and Calcium is given though the bones of the prey.

6. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

This is an interesting thread. Could the freezing process of rodents kill off some of the needed vitamins?

7. snake77

snake77 Member

Probably one of the best recommended things I've heard was before killing and freezing your rats, feed them greens (romaine, spinach, and so on) and it will add nutrients to your snakes. Do they need it? No, but hey, it will not hurt.
    As far as the freezing of the rats I heard it eliminates some nutrients, but not enough to hurt or there would be definite proof on that and not just hypothesis and opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.