This Disappears When Logged In

Vitamins for Pacmans

Discussion in 'Horned Frogs' started by crunchsupreme, Oct 7, 2014.

1. crunchsupreme

crunchsupreme Member

Is it really necessary to dust insects with calcium powder when feeding my pacman frog? I havnt been, and the health of my frog is as good as ever. However, would it be in my best interest to use some kind of vitamin suppliment for sapo? Is it as important for amphibians to be supplimented as it is for reptiles?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is. Most feeder insects have a very high phosphorous content. The calcium helps to balance that out.
    As for vitamins, if you gut load with a good quality diet you could likely get by without the vitamin dusting but I would still do it just to be on the safe side.

3. crunchsupreme

crunchsupreme Member

Merlin should i gut load the insects with the store bought cricket diets or is just feeding them different fruits and vegetables acceptable?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I prefer to feed fruits and veggies myself. Never know what is in the commercial gutloads!

5. crunchsupreme

crunchsupreme Member

Yea i dont like the commercial gel crap either. Keep it natural

6. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

In my short experience crickets will eat almost anything before they will eat the Fluker's Orange stuff. They have gone simply mad about the cat kibble that I have given them. Same for cooked green beans (plain but leftover from dinner) and raw spinach. They weren't so thrilled over carrot and tomato was kind of iffy. I'm thinking of trying dandelion greens as a really cheap addition to their diet.