This Disappears When Logged In

Vision Cages?

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Katsura, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Hello everyone

Has anyone used or have any experience with Vision Cages? I'm looking for opinions and advice.

Soon I will be needing larger enclosures for my snakes, but tanks are expensive and take up a bunch of space and I don't want to use tubs or racks because I like the look of a terrarium. So I was looking into getting some of those vision cages. The only problem is that I have a hard time visualizing measurements and I don't know what sizes I would possibly get.

What size would be good for ball pythons, boa constructors, carpet pythons, blood pythons, and Corn snakes?

Does anybody actually use Vision cages or can anyone attest to them? Good, bad, indifferent?

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/vision-cages-racks-and-tubs/vision-cages-and-tubs/

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A larger Vision enclosure is going to cost you over $300 from what I see.
    That's seems pricey to me.

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Vision cages are pricey but well built and very functional. I don't own any of them but there are other brands you could check out that may be cheaper. Another option is going to a local reptile show because there will usually be a cage seller there whether it is vision products or an off brand. If you do this you can check the size in person.

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

With the exception of the stacking ability due to front access doors, I don't see the benefit over tanks. You need the same spacial volume either way. If you hit the reptile shows you can usually pick up used tanks for cheap - a little scrubbing and bleach rinse and voila! I got my 75gal tank at a show for $75 - I made a custom wooden/locking lid which added probably $25 in materials - if that much.

Vision cages seem very pricey to me - I like the stacking ability, but not worth the cost difference - IMO. Just my 2cents. :)

I used a 40 gal for my ball python, and my corn loves her 75gal - despite what I was told, she uses every inch she is given, so I got her the biggest tank I could find and fit. She is constantly exploring the entire tank, yes she could do with a smaller space - but as long as I had the room she was spoiled.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. TtomRed

TtomRed Active Member

I looked into those as well because I love the stacking ability as well, but pricing it out for my existing two reptiles I'd spend **** near $600 before I even get an additional tank for my next reptile, just doesn't seem worth it. I'm having a blast making my own wood enclosure though, even with no experience its looking pretty functional already and I've spent maybeeeee... $80? I'd recommend givin it a shot!

7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I've also been looking into the boaphile ones, trying to compare the two.

I'm actually going to my first reptile expo on the 11th of May (soooo excited) so I'll have to see what prices are like there.

I personally think that the stacking makes it worth the money... I like the way it looks and I feel like it would take up less space. I know that with a queen size bed, various other furniture, two 55 gallons and a 30 gallon crammed into my relatively small room there's very little space. Plus getting into one of my tanks with the current setup is pretty difficult.

I planned on getting a 75 or 90 gallon for my ball pythons because they live together, but that is a hefty tank and when combined with my others it's just going to be a mess.

I DO know the value of getting tanks secondhand though; not one of my tanks has been purchased brandnew. The one fifty five came with my girls, the ten had been lying around the house for years, and we paid a dollar a gallon for the thirty and the other the fifty five.

I had considered building my own enclosures but as my boyfriend and I are 18 and 20 respectively we don't exactly have the tools to do that, nor do I know anyone we could borrow from o.o

I wonder why I can't stop writing novels as posts...

8. chpllshw

chpllshw Member

check craigslist!! theres always homemade cages and enclosures!

9. mikoh4792

mikoh4792 Member

I've used animal plastics and vision cages in the past.

Vision cages look nice but I have trouble keeping it heated in the winter. The 4x2 I used to have only allowed a mini dome (5.5 inch) fixture. You could put another mini dome lamp in the middle(Where the fluorescent lights are supposed to go) but then you can't stack cages on top.

I liked animal plastics much more than the vision cages. It holds in heat and humidity a lot better. I think the cages from boaphile, pvccages, and repti-racks are all similar in performance with animal plastics so I would go with one of those.(Good thing since you were already considering boaphile)

As for stacking, you could always stack those cages I mentioned above by just buying the cages with a built in fluorescent fixture( so you don't have to worry about lighting) and then installing a radiant heat panel or UTH. Also, you don't have to worry about venting since most of those cages come with vents on the sides.

10. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

I'm planning on getting the 632 model for my colombian tegu!