This Disappears When Logged In

Visi-therm Aquarium Heater

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by cslammon, Nov 23, 2010.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I've never used one of these, it's 100 watts 60 hz. I'm using it in a 20 gallon tank for my cwd. My question is, will it get too hot to where if Yoshi touches it, it will burn him? I'm thinking I should make some sort of "cage" around it so he can't physically touch it..

thoughts?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The cage is definately a good idea. Not only could it burn him, with a glass encased heater there is also the danger of it breaking and then you have a hot wire leading into your water feature.

3. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Didn't even think of that! What material should I use?

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

aquarium heaters are meant to be under water only. if it is out of the water it will get really really really hot and then break. i have burned myself before when i forgot to unplug it while cleaning my fish tank, and then it broke and i had to buy a new one :(

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Seems like I remember one of our members (Dragoness I beleive)talking about one she had that had some sort of guard on it.

6. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I've had it plugged in for about a week now and honestly it doesn't get that hot, I have a ceramic tree blocking it from being touched. It's working just fine