This Disappears When Logged In

Vipers from Malaysia

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by hans, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hans

hans Member

A warm shout out to everyone here, would like to share some pictures from this side of the globe as my first post.

Leaf-nosed viper - Trimeresurus wiroti
    This species occurs from Southern Thailand to Peninsular Malaysia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mountain pit-viper - Ovophis monticola convictus
    Occurs in Peninsular Malaysia and over a wide part of northern Southeast Asia, but is considered rare within its range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the Asian green pit-vipers - Trimeresurus fucatus (Langkawi form)
    This specimen is from Langkawi Island and is similiar to some populations from Southern Thailand that may or may not have the bicolor postocular streak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    hans

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome pics. Welcome to Herp Center.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing and welcome to Herpcenter.

4. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Welcome to HerpCenter! You sure know how to make an entrance!

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome Hans! :)
    Those are all beautiful snakes. Do you keep venomous snakes or is this a job? passion? hobby? (all of the above?)
    Tell us more about yourself.

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the neighborhood! Thanks for sharing the pics. You made it so we didn't have to demand them ourselves. :)

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

hi and welcome... love asain pit vipers...kept a few myself. Nice pics too...are they yours?

oh by the way i thought Trimeresurus fucatus was put in the genus Popeia in 2006. I am no asian pit vier expert though, just recall reading a paper on it. Could be wrong.

There was a whole change in Trimeresurus ...but with Trimeresurus wiroti it stayed in the group so that is correct.

8. hans

hans Member

Thank you all, I'll definitely be sharing some more pictures of Malaysian herpetofauna over time..

Caudalis, I am aware of the Malhotra & Thorpe (2004) work which reclassifies the Trimeresurus group, but there are some in the field (e.g. Vogel) who do not accept it yet for certain reasons, and I happen to fall in that category. Technically, it is also not wrong to not recognise the new names (yet). But thanks for pointing it out anyway. :)

I currently work a desk job while offering herping tours part-time but will soon make a full transition as I've recently resigned. I am not as avid a herpetoculturist l was a long time ago, but currently still have several specimens, including those vipers.

Cheers,
    hans

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Yeah, I know how it goes... I also disagree with many new African revisions, but soon all things will slow down. From your pics it seems I will need to do a Malaysia herp trip soon!

10. im.steven

im.steven New Member

Nice pic. Thanks! It was exactly what I needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.