This Disappears When Logged In

Vintage Horned Toad Pic

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DwarvenChef, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

ShawnandHornedtoad_zps2a68968d.jpg

Western Horned Toad from around Ojai CA back around 1980. I'd already spent around 8-10 years living nothing but fish and reptiles and soon lost interest in main stream "industrial pets" you see all the time in the pet shops. I soon became far more interested in what is in our own back yards :) Funny because I still love my local fauna more than the exotics :)

Yes that is blood around it's eye, he was none to happy with me and squirted me :p I'm glad to say that's the last time I got squirted as I'm sure that's not really good for the poor little guys.

I love this picture though :)

Attached Files:

2. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Very cool. I've only seen them do that a few times. For the longest time, I thought that it must take a lot of aggravation for them to squirt blood, because we hadn't ever caught any that did. More recently, though, I've seen a few do it without much provocation, so I don't know. What I do know is that Phrynosoma is a really cool genus of lizards.;)

I've never heard P. blainvilli referred to as a Western, though. I've always heard them referred to as Coastals. Did they change the name on me?

3. Japatul

Japatul New Member

That's a nice picture!

I remember catching horny toads that size in the San Diego foothills in the 70's.

I remember coming upon a huge horned lizard and a huge (four foot?) gopher snake getting ready to rumble.

I was in a real quandary about which one to catch. I think I opted for the horny toad.

The horned lizards we see now (and we're seeing more of them lately) tend to be smaller. I'm happy to be seeing them again, though.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Coastal does sound familiar which is another reason I don't like common names LOL I just got lazy and didn't look up the name, bad me :p