This Disappears When Logged In

vinegaroons

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by furryscaly, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Have you ever seen the movie Alien, with Sigourney Weaver? Well if those aliens were a bug, they'd look like these guys. Like the alien, these giant vinegaroons (Mastigoproctus giganteus) even have acid!

Hera taking a drink
    [​IMG]

Hera again, notice she's missing her tail
    [​IMG]

Bent, my male.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bent and his girlfriend, Broken...
    [​IMG]

Whom he knocked up...(hence the fatness)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and who now laid eggs...
    [​IMG]

This is really exciting, because there are VERY few people who have managed to successfully breed these in captivity. Currently the entire U.S. stock comes from wild caught individuals. Vinegaroons are hard to sex, and hard to breed without them killing each other. Unfortunately, although I've made it this far, most of the eggs have died, but she still holds on to some. With any luck, they'll hatch! The biggest downside though is that the female very rarely survives much longer after that, cause she doesn't eat anything the entire time. Hopefully I can manage to keep Broken alive, but there's no guarantee.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Ausumus :D....Congrats on the babies,,,i cant wait to see pics of them. They are scary lookin but fantastic coloration...whats up with the tails?

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's how they shoot their acid :) They aim the tail like a turret gun and spray acetic acid like pepper spray. Bent's tail is bent, Broken's tail is broken, and Hera had a tail until her boyfriend broke it off in a fight. She ate him.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Talk about domestic violence...

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Tell me about it. You get in a fight with your significant other, and the next thing you know you're being digested. I HATE when that happens. Totally ruins the rest of your day.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Does it happen often to you? I couldn't see being digested going over very well the 3rd or 4th time around...:eek:

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Lets face it, we are all digested at one point or another...Matt, if you have enough babies to "sell" then "sell" me like 5, do you think they would all make it?

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats pretty cool.:) how do they drink? i see the pic where the one is drinking but i can't really make out if its from something.

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

She's just drinking straight out of the moisture-soaked substrate :) They drink like ant other arachnid. I'm not 100% sure how they even do it, I just know they use their "mouths".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.