This Disappears When Logged In

Vinegar + Hydrogen Peroxide = Super Germicide?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Flint, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I use diluted vinegar for cleaning.
    In the article it says a small amount left on the surface is not harmful to people. However a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on the surface could be deadly for reptiles.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I also use the diluted vinegar, definitely not the hyd. peroxide.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I use a 1:10 bleach:water ratio. I rinse well and let air dry.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, diluted bleach is good, but in a large enclosure, the smell hangs around for some time! Another great way is to use a steam-gun, Obviously remove the animal first. Mine`s broke, but I`m definitely getting another! ( This thread`s reminded me!) ;)

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't acutally clean my enclosures, they are for the most part self sustaining. I use the bleach mixture to clean out bowls and wash the glass.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That statement in itself would be enough for me not to try it in an enclosure!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Update: I`ve just bought a replacement hand-held steam gun off ebay for £20 u.k. ($30u.s.) and that includes postage & 24hr. delivery, these are excellent for getting into all the nooks and crannies, plus of course, no chemicals are needed!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would be worried that the steam hitting the glass would cause it to crack.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, I`ve not had a problem with this before, although I`m using toughened 1/4inch plate glass. These hand held steamers can be used on mirrors etc. without any problems, and can be used for cleaning windows, so should be fine!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Mike and Stefan, What vinegar to water ratio do you use? (it's usually more helpful when you give that as some people might mix it to weak or to strong ;))

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Steven, you`re sooo right! It would be helpful to give the ratio: I usually go around 4 parts water to 1 vinegar, it`s also good to use a bleach/water mix: 10 parts water to 1 bleach, but best to wait for the smell to go, which seems to linger in my tank ( it`s so big) but I normally use the steam method, it`s only in the last few weeks I`ve used the others. :eek: :)

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Bleach and ammonia works the best for cleaning.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

From Wikipedia :

Hydrogen peroxide always decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously ... Hydrogen peroxide available at drug stores is 3% solution. In such small concentrations, it is less stable, and decomposes faster. It is usually stabilized with acetanilide, a substance which has toxic side effects in significant amounts.

I hope you don't mix them.

15. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Bleach and ammonia makes chlorine gas I believe.
    My step-mom used to clean the toilets by letting bleach sit in the bowl for a while. So I unknowingly walk in to relieve myself and end up running out of the bathroom with red, burning eyes and my lungs on fire. Nothing clears your sinuses better than that though :p

Well thanks for the insights everyone, the bleach/water dilution seems most practical. :)

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

HI Flint, would you be able to get a steam-gun? These only use water, no chemicals are needed, safest of all! Well worth the cost, and many other uses around the house!

17. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Actually my step-mom got one for Christmas last year for clothes and all sorts of things. One of those "As Seen on TV" deals haha

Might try that out when I get my snake's permanent home built. Steamer would probably work wonders with linoleum lined wood.

Thanks murrindindi!

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They are perfect, maybe you can "borrow" it when she`s not looking! :)

19. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Haha she loves that thing she'd kill me! I swear my BRB would be perfectly happy in the living room if it were allowed home. I wouldn't need to mist or anything. That steamer is always running, keeping the indoor humidity in our tiny house at a sweaty 110% haha

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes, I believe your right ;)

Personally I'd use the vinegar/water mix in the enclosure as it's less toxic and won't keep the smell around long. It cleans and disinfects and you can use it to clean windows too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.