This Disappears When Logged In

Vine-like Plant Safe and Edible? Also, Lighting...

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by honeybunny, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honeybunny

honeybunny Member

I bought two leopard tortoises today, and the vendor had told me of a vine-like plant that I should buy to keep in the tank, that they like to hide themselves in and is also safe and edible...unforunatly, I thought I could remember the name of the plant, but when I got to Home Depot I had no idea which plant it was...he said its not the vines that grow on the sides of houses, but another kind of vine. If you know what I'm talking about, please help!

Also, I bought one of those efficiency lightbulbs to heat their tank. Is that good enough, or is there a specific set up that I should use?

Thanks in advance!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. honeybunny

honeybunny Member

Re: Vine-like Plant Safe and Edible? Also, Lightin

I went to a reptile expo 3 and a half hours away from home...by the time I got home it was after 9 and I didnt have time to get to a store...I'll go to a pet store first thing tomorrow. Thanks so much!

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Because torts need such a high amount of UVB the megaray really is the way to go. Unfortunately they aren't found in petstores. The upside to them though is that they cost about the same as the ones you find in the pet stores but will last you about a year rather than just 6 months. If you aren't familiar with UVB bulbs, it must actually say UVB not just "full spectrum" and the tube UVB lights will generally stop emitting UVB after about 6 months even if they still produce light.

5. honeybunny

honeybunny Member

I looked at the website that schlegalbagel posted and there's many different kinds of bulbs (halogen, heat projector, flourescent tubes)...I don't know which one I should order...?

6. schlegelbagel

The owner of that site is VERY friendly with members of this board. Send him an email describing your set up and he'll help you choose. :)

7. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

Compact fluorescents are really good. The reptiglo 5.0 works wonderfully and doesn't cause eye irritation like the 10.0.

8. schlegelbagel

Yeah, but the 5.0 only gives out half the UVB as the 10.0

Mega ray is great. Heat and high amounts of UVB.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking about the spiral flourescent bulbs,...they really don't put out much in the way of heat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.