This Disappears When Logged In

Vet Visit Update!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by JoeyG, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Well, went to the Vet Friday and it turns out everything is okay. She wasnt impacted since as soon as they started checking her out and opening her mouth she let everyone know that she wasn't happy:-& I also found out that nightstalker is really a girl and not a boy like the previous stupid Vet had told me. The one I saw yesterday is actually extremely good and all she deals with is exotics. So all is well again and now I'm just waiting for her to take the next rat out which she's currently stocking! Hope all is well with everyone and thanks for all the advice and :)help

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Good to know there were no issues, and ALWAYS a plus to know that you have found a good vet....Good reptile vets can at times be very difficult to find..

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry I missed this thread: my first thought was "Are you sure it's a HE??" Our females are notorious for their constipation/"holding it". Sometimes we'll take them out and let them swim around in a warm bath, but usually they'll hold it until their next shed... As they get older: that gets further and further apart. (It can be SCARY to see how full their back ends can get!! (I'll take a picture of our female Lantash -- she's holding on right now too...)
    Don't worry, it's a girl-thing with GTPs. She'll go when she's ready -- but watch out it's going to be NASTY - smelling !!!! Usually you'll find BIG white urate balls that you wonder how she even passed those... it's all normal.

btw: Your snake does NOT look underweight at all: she looks VERY healthy. And VERY VERY beautiful!

4. JoeyG

Thanks for the compliment about her. I just recently found out it was a female as the previous Vet was actually not very good with snakes considering she got bitten and injured my girl getting her of. She has gained some weight but only normal growth. She's feeding great and seems fairly content in her home. Absolutely in love with her and I'm looking for a baby now! Just don't tell the "boss" :-"

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Warning NASTY PHOTO ATTACHED!!

Here is what I was talking about. The white balls are urates and can get REALLY BIG and HARD (like those big king-sized marbles: "boulders"?) I'm not sure if they cause the constipation or if they form because the females "hold it" so long -- probably a bit of both. We have 2 adult females and 4 males and the males don't produce urates this big. But both females "hold it" for months and when they go... oh boy!!
    I have, on occasion let her soak/swim in a warm bath and actually helped "massage" the urate balls out. It scared the xyz out of me! I couldn't imagine her ever being able to pass them on her own, but she can and does!! I do think the swimming in warm water helps... females tend to be LAZY. They eat and perch, eat and perch and aside from moving from a feeding spot to a sleeping spot, they don't do a lot of exercise. Moving definitely helps. The females usually poop when they shed, because shedding requires them to MOVE their lazy back ends!! (We have very large terrariums for all of our adult GTPs. Our males climb all over it all night when they are not in a shedding phase. The females eat and perch...)
    So if you're concerned, just put her in some warm water and make sure she has enough room to really move for 5 minutes or so. Make sure she can't drown, but also that she can't just sit still and wait the whole time.

This was actually only 4 rats, but she's been known to hold onto more for longer. (Sorry if it's disgusting... at least you don't have to smell it! OMG!!

399071232.jpg

Attached Files:

6. JoeyG

Thanks for the update. I atleast know not to worry so much. Good to know it's normal. I've been a fast learning curve with GTPs, but they're well worth it!