This Disappears When Logged In

Very Weird 'shed'

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by maddog936, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddog936

maddog936 Member

My milk snake, Lenny, is 2 years old and 3 1/2 ft long. He turned a milky white color and his eyes turned to an opaque sapphire blue which means shedding time. I went a short two day trip and let my dad care for him. When i came back his body was bright and bold like he had just shed although his eyes are still that sapphire color. What's going on? What should I do? :confused:

2. maddog936

maddog936 Member

Also i thought snakes started shedding at their head and also his eyes aren't just that color its his whole head that is milky white.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Did you find the rest of his skin cast off, or is it just possible that he hasn't shed yet.

4. maddog936

maddog936 Member

I checked his cage and nothing, but how could his color just go like that and not his head? I put a heating pad in there not long before, can this have any thing to do with it?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Snakes will appear to clear up after going opaque, but before they shed. just wait a few more days.

6. maddog936

maddog936 Member

ok thanks alot, also how could i make a good humidity hide box without sphagum moss?

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Damp paper towels work well. Just mist them every day. Make sure the humid hide is over the warm part of the enclosure.

You can also just put some substrate (Aspen) in the humid hide and mist it. I would take it out after the shed, though, to keep unwanted bacteria and fungus out of the enclosure.

8. maddog936

maddog936 Member

I already have aspen in, should I also have other things in there for him to maybe break the skin or something, also how many times should i mist a day and how much, i know i don't need much cause of mold so...:)

9. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I have one rock in each of my snakes enclosures. I don't know that they use it as I usually see them just rubbing against the walls of the tubs. But, I like to have something hard and rough in there just in case.

I would only mist the moist hide, and do that maybe 2 times a day, only after they eyes have cleared up. Once the shed is off, you can merely dump the wet bedding and clean the hide.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had problems with aspen molding too. Here in Florida, everything molds, lol.

I keep at least one rough item (branch, half-log, etc) in each of my cages, and usually find skins wrapped up around it. Rough rocks will work. anything can be used, so long as it is adequately sterilized first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.