This Disappears When Logged In

Very Sad, Frog Death.

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by purplemuffin, Jan 3, 2012.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Poor brooklyn is just heart broken over this. Her frog died new years day, it was a very quick unexpected death as well.

We didn't see any symptoms--I even saw the frog the morning before she passed on, watched her eat a few earthworms happily. Went back that night to a horrifying smell and a very stiff, very dead frog. It was spooky, still standing there as if hunting but.... not alive. At first we thought it was alive, maybe, maybe somehow just in estivation... Attempted to add humidity, heat, eventually tried to move the frog, but..well... Yeah :(

Rest in peace little girl. I don't know what happened, but at least it happened quick. I only hope it wasn't painful. :(

[​IMG]

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Im sorry for your loss. :(

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

That's so very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss ): I also hope it wasn't a disease or virus that could catch on to your other herps. Rest in peace froggie!

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Rest in peace little one! Sorry for your loss

5. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I am so sorry Kat, Tell Brooklyn she is in our prayers, her poor little froggy. She had a wonderful life at your home.

6. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Sorry for your loss! I had something similar happen a few years ago with a fire-belly toad :(

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To happen that quickly I would wonder if perhaps the worms were contaminated?

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Im sorry for your loss. May she RIP.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's my thought, merlin. Something wrong with the worm.

That sucks.

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

So sorry to hear that Kat :(

11. purplemuffin

Yeah, we threw out all the worms. Very frustrating as we had just purchased 100 of them, but I don't want guacamole to suffer the same fate.

Brooklyn is very sad, she had a few animal deaths recently--she bought a hermit crab that was clearly already sick, he died after he killed her healthy one. This seemed like she 'finally' was doing something right and had her animal that was going to live for years. Definitely not fun.

12. Merlin

Just out of curiosity where did you purchase the worms?

13. purplemuffin

We had quite a few, from a few different places actually. We just would buy them whenever we saw them since we had two giant mouths to feed. We had a few from the walmart fishing section, some straight from bass pro shop, and some from the only petsmart near us that sells earthworms.

Another thought I had. She was always very good about cleaning the enclosure, but she waited longer than I would have to switch out substrate. Not like waiting 5 months between substrate changes or anything, but about a week or two longer than I do. Is it possible that in that time a strong bacteria could have built up in old substrate that could have killed the frog? Would this have shown symptoms if it did?

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I doubt it's from the substrate. It's a pixie. They usually go in their water, poop and pee. Sounds to me like with the speed of the death, it was something she ate. If it was because of a dirty cage, you would see symptoms first, like bloating or sore spots.

15. purplemuffin

Man, that's so sad. There was possibly bloating, but I don't know. The frog was really fat, we were always a little shocked when we saw it, it just might have been the usual 'oh that's a big frog!' look that I took as bloating. It was a really quick death. Definitely no sores or redness anywhere though.

It was actually the fact that the frog was on land for so long that hinted to us something was wrong. She was always in her water. At first I thought something may have been wrong chemically with the water as she had spent so much time just on the substrate, but now I think she may have been dead most of the time already. :(

Some kind of toxin maybe present in the worm? We never collected them for fear of fertilizers and such. Is it possible any of the worms uses at a store could have been collected or exposed to chemicals?

16. Merlin

The purchasing of feeders from bait suppliers is something that I have always been a bit leery of. Coming from a family who liked to fish, I have been around a lot of bait houses and most of them left a lot to be desired in terms of cleanliness.
    Not saying that that was the issue but with the suddenness of the death I would suspect some sort of toxin.

17. purplemuffin

To be honest I was always a bit leery of it myself at first as my family fishes as well, but it was the only place we were able to get them reliably for a while--our bass pro shops and sporting goods shops usually buy directly from them, and with the move and all that they ended up being dead at the other shops. But it had seemed to be working out fine for guacamole for so long we just stopped questioning it.

Where else could they be purchased? Online the minimum order is about 50 dollars from what I've seen, and I don't know if we need that many worms at once with only one frog. I want to avoid any issues with guacamole.

We did find someone who breeds roaches, maybe until we figure out a new, safe place to buy earthworms from he can eat dubias to replace that part of his diet.

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear about Brooklyn's frog passing! :( Rest in peace little one

19. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Is she planning on getting another one?

20. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

So sorry.