This Disappears When Logged In

Very HIGH Temps!!!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by aquarles, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They burrow to escape temperatures that are too high. But I would guess that the soil temperatures in Africa would be a bit warmer than what would be found in an aquarium in our home.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Couldn't they burrow to the cool side if they want to cool off! You would have to burrow pretty deep in Kenya to find cool areas.

3. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Wow i'm completely confused now! I have read countless care sheets and it says to use UTH to get correct temps and humidity.

If someone thinks I am doing this all wrong please let me know.

**I have Brew in a 10 gallon tank with a metal mesh lid, 2-3 layers of newspaper, 3-4in of aspen bedding on top of the newspaper, false leaves to hide under or behind, a water bowl on the cool side, a log hide on the warm side (which I have read that they don't really need if they have enough substrate to burrow under), an UTH and 60 watt light above the same side. Sadly I do not know the EXACT temps because I got an Acu-Rite digital therm/hygro with a probe but don't want to move around in it's tank to put it in.

Do you think I should put it in or wait until he is settled in?

Also, if i'm doing something wrong or there is a better way to do Brew's set up please let me know! I got him/her Saturday so it's only been 3 days that this set up has been the way it is, it can be changed.

4. mld

5. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks Michele, I have viewed over that care sheet an ample number of times, that's why my set up is the way it is. It said they like belly heat instead of using only an over head heat source.

I feel confident in my set up and the information that I have taken from good sites and breeders but others comments made me question myself there for a minute! lol

6. mld

You can also join their Facebook page! Read to other owners thoughts, questions. Mark will help you out with any doubts you may have!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Go ahead and put the thermometer in. Knowing the exact temps overrides the snake getting annoyed.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Please don't take ANYTHING i say on snakes care (minus ideas to get correct temps) to heart. I am a frog enthusiast, and a snake novice. I was just asking a question because it crossed my mind!

9. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Great idea, thanks :)

---Will do, Merlin. I went to turn on Brew's light this morning and it's little head and upper body was poked out of the aspen! I hope that means it is getting used to his/her surroundings.

You're more than welcome to ask questions on my threads! I am learning as well and starting up different thoughts or questions is a good way to gain knowledge for us both :)