This Disappears When Logged In

Very HIGH Temps!!!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by aquarles, Mar 13, 2011.

1. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

In my snow corn's enclosure her digital thermometer with a probe is saying that it is 105F on her hot side! The probe is securely placed under the substrate (about 2-3 layers of newspaper and 2in of aspen bedding).

Even though she has plenty of protection between her and the under tank heater, I still don't want it to be too hot for her to get burned, or avoid that area all together because it is too warm.

It is amazing how hot those heat pads can get! What is everyone's advice on this? If you think she is fine then I won't get a rheostat but I am going to order one TODAY since the stores are closed and it's cheaper to buy online, if you think I need to dim the temperature.

Here's a link of the one I am going to order depending on everyone's feedback.
    Repti Temp Rheostat

***Answers and feedback are much needed and well appreciated! :)

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It is possible for your snake to crawl under all the substrate and get burned, so you really should find some way to lower the temp of the heat matt.
    I don't know about the product you linked to.
    For our GTPs we use HerpStat products by Spyder Robotics. They are A LOT more expensive than the one you are looking at, but we've found them to be fantastic.
    Spyder Robotics Herpstat

3. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Wow that one is MUCH more expensive but I do love how you can set it at the EXACT number you want and not have to use a dial. I will be looking at that one more closely and see if I can fit it in my budget to get it. (I would need two since I recently got a sand boa as well) :)

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yes, I hear those are great too. I went ahead and ordered the one in my link above for my snow corn and sand boa.

If I have any trouble with it I will just return it. The website I orederd from has amazing shipping prices, which we all know can make a HUGE difference in your total price! ;)

6. mld

Just a thought, but if you send me that KSB, it just might be cheaper for you!;)

7. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Haha Michele! You might need to come visit me so you can help me out with the little booger! He is quite fiesty, as I hear most juvenile sand boas are. ;) I can't wait to get some pictures of him/her so I can show you all.

He/she is bright orange/brown. I still have no name for it so you can do the honor Michele and help with out with that! lol

8. mld

Can't wait for pictures, I think I know the color you are talking about!

When I was in Kenya the word "Hello" in swahili is Jambo

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Herpstat makes several versions that you can control up to 4 different terrariums with one thermostat.
    It's pricey, but it's super quality. Something to consider investing in for the future.

10. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks, I will definately look into that for the future. Right now I have my snakes is separate rooms. But really want to rearrange the whole apartment and do something different with my 2 snakes and my husband's fish tank lol

That's a good idea! I might just start looking up some names/meanings in different languages. -I know it has nothing to do with sand boas, but i've always loved the Spanish and Italian language lol

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You could put a piece of tile on the glass, under the substrate and that would help disperse the heat.

12. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I have ordered a rheostat for both of my snakes but I could try that in the meantime before it gets here :)

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Regarding names..."Arena" is the spanish word for sand....just a thought.

14. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Now that's such a pretty name! If it's a girl I will definately more than likely be using that name! If it's a boy, I love the name Brew :)

So I would have Moscato and Brew lol No, i'm not an alcoholic, my husband's middle name is Brewer and I absolutely love that name. (He doesn't ;)) haha So I would just shorten it to Brew!

I can't wait for him/her to get settled in so I can start to try handling it! I will be using gloves for the first time since he/she might be a little nippy. I want to get a good look at its tail to see if you can tell if it's a boy or girl by the end of their tail looking a certain way.

15. warneri

warneri Elite Member

i put the probes on top of the substrate, that keeps the temps just fine

16. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

But the Kenyan sand boa is a burrowing snake which will spend almost all of its time UNDER the substrate...so if the probes are on top, then they will not show an accurate temperature of where the snake is..

17. mld

I would do what liz mentioned until you get your thermostats, and place of tile over the spot where the heating pad is!

18. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks everyone. I will try the tile trick until my rheostats get here. I can't wait to show you all this little guy/girl! I am DYING to take some pictures! :)

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I"m a bit confused. in the wild, there are no under tank heaters. Wouldn't the animals be going under the substrate to get away from warm temps. I know my pacman frog gets very confused if the substrate is warm. Wouldn't this mean these types of burrowing snakes should have overhead heat, instead of UTH heat?

20. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I was thinking the same exact thing as I looked through the thread. I had always heard that if it is a burrowing animal, it will burrow down to find cooler temps instead of warmer ones.