This Disappears When Logged In

Very Aggressive Rosy

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Whiskey, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Active Member

My male rosy, Swagger, has become very aggressive. I purchased him back in october at the orlando repticon and he was fine for about a month. Would let me handle him with no problem. But after that first month he would bite and strike at me from behind the glass of his tank. I have never fed him in his tank but in a separate 5 gallon tank, and his aggression is much worse in this tank. I've been told that it is a feeding response, it very well could be. But I work in the medical field and can't go into work with little bites on my hands. Is this normal for young rosys, or do I just have a particularly nippy snake.

A little info about his tank.
    Right now, hes housed in a 20 long tank, with shredded aspen sub straight, warm side of the tank is right at 90 degrees, the cool side is in the high 70s to low 80s, night time temps are mid 80s on the warm side. He has several hides and lots of plants spread throughout the tank.

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

How often is he being fed, and what size prey? Hungry maybe?

3. Whiskey

Whiskey Active Member

2 large f/t pinkies, every Saturday. I will try switching him to fuzzies next weekend.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How big is the snake? After feeding is there a noticeable lump in the snake?

5. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

Some snakes are just aggressive. Even within a species that is not known for aggression sometimes you just get lucky (or un-lucky).

I had a red blood python once that I could not even touch without it trying to bite, it bit me every chance it got. But I also had a red blood once that was as sweet as a kitten. Believe it or not, I have even encountered aggressive ball pythons. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.

Maybe over time, with handling, he will calm down.

6. Whiskey

Whiskey Active Member

He is 15" or so. After his feeding today, I did notice that the lump from the pinkies is not a large as it once was, but you can still see where they are. I do think its time to give him a bigger prey, I just wanted to use the last of the pinkies.

7. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

I am not quite convinced your issue is a concern of lack of food. The reason for this is that you are not describing a "feeding response" bite. If your snake was biting and holding on and constricting, then maybe I would agree. It sounds to me that you just have a nippy rosy.

8. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Good point.

9. Merlin

Exactly what are you using to measure the temperatures?
    Is the tank in an area with high traffic or loud noises?

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Has he been to the vet lately to rule out any sort of sickness or parasites? Sometimes a change in behavior can point to something wrong.

Do you smell like mice or any sort of food to him before you go in the tank?

Is there anything in the room that could be spooking him? Dogs or cats passing by or anything?

11. Whiskey

Whiskey Active Member

He is in my room, where there is minimal traffic and noise, the dog is put up for feeding, he is terrified if the tank for some reason and jumps on the bed to stay as far away as possible from it when hes not locked up. lol. I use a digital thermometer with a probe to check temps. He was taken to the vet when I first brought him home, they did a fecal smear and something else, and didn't show anything out of the ordinary. He has tried to constrict my fingers a couple of times, but now, I just don't give him the chance to bite me. He is transfered in and out of his tank with a small snake hook.

12. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

You may just have to handle him more, If you only handle him when its time to feed, he will not learn to trust you. Do you handle him other times? bites are unfortunately part of owning snakes, just try to socialize ti minimize te inclination to bite.

13. Merlin

And if you are concerned about bite marks on your hands due to your job, get a pair of light weight leather gardening gloves.