This Disappears When Logged In

VERY Active JCP?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by mikeyp03, Feb 21, 2014.

1. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Hey everyone! I have a question, and its not a concern at all, but my JCP has been acting "different" lately.
    I've had him since he was pretty much born- 2005-so hes about 9 years old.
    He's also about 6 ft long.

I have him in a custom enclosure that I built over a year ago. (wood, and plexiglass doors) I have a Mistking system installed, and a fluorescent light for daytime lighting, and a CHE for heat.....and a t-stat/Humidistat to monitor everything.

He's also on eco-earth substrate.

So now that I have all of that info taken care of...
    My issue is that for the past month or so, he's been "searching"-the best way I can put it. More so at night, but almost anytime I look in he's moving around looking for something.
    I kept taking it as him being hungry, but I keep feeding him MED frozen rats and even when he's full (just ate) Ill see him "searching".

When he's hanging out Ill find him coiled on his perches, or laying on the floor, or laying on/in his hide, so it doesnt seem like anything is bothering him in his enclosure.

I've just never seen a snake so active, so its kinda weird to me....and he's always been active and alert. This is just EXTREME.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Any chance its looking for love.... most do when it cools off...

3. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thats what I was thinking...lol.....I feel bad for him then:(((

4. JoeyG

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

What kind of wood is his cage made of?

6. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I would think its pine, but it shouldnt matter at all. I painted it, then sealed it 3 times with polyshield, and everything is caulked.
    The JCP is in the top enclosure. I have a ball python in the bottom. They've both been in this for over a year.
    2cnfiuc.jpg

7. EriksExotics

Sounds good. I'd say Joey is probably right

8. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Yea I had that thought in the back of my mind, but I wasnt sure since I had never noticed him do this in years past. And I figured much earlier on I would have noticed it. BUTTT the one difference is that the enclosure is in my living room about 2 feet from my couch where I'm always hanging out.....so I have my eyes on him all the time. Where as in the past before I built the enclosure their tanks were in a spare bedroom....so I didnt see them all the time.

So that must be it : ) Thanks for the help guys!

Sadly he will never get any lol

9. JoeyG

Lol! Should get another ;-) also those are some awesome enclosures! Nice work man!!

10. EriksExotics

My exact thought lol

11. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I was thinking about it haha, but I just got some new tarantulas, so I dont know if I'm ready for a new JCP right now. I was wondering though, at what age do they stop wanting to breed? I figured my next snake, whenever that would happen, would be a GTP though.

Thanks Joey, yea I got some good info and help here last year when I was building the enclosure. I actually posted up progress pics and info too. Its all one enclosure with 3 separate enclosures, and everything (electrical, water lines, etc.) are all hidden inside.

12. EriksExotics

Not sure when they stop breeding but I know 9 is a good age to breed at