This Disappears When Logged In

Vernal Pool Inverts

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by iturnrocks, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Last year I discovered the magic of vernal pool invertebrates. It started with finding 3 species of fairy shrimp, then a species of tadpole shrimp in temporary pools in Kansas.

I thot Id share some pics.

Here is one of the fairy shrimp. All of these animals are less than 2" long, so the photos are closeups.

This is a Greater Plains Fairy Shrimp
    [​IMG]

Here is a larger species called a Beavertail Fairy Shrimp. This was the first one I discovered, and I didnt get a chance to take very many good photos of it.
    [​IMG]

Here is an animation I did of a Spinytail Fairy Shrimp
    [​IMG]

Now on to the tadpole shrimp. You may recognize these as the Triops which are sold as eggs in Walmart and other stores, but these were all collected in the wild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Wow, fascinating post and some really great photographs - you have talent! :) Really interesting to read about this.. please post more pics if you have any. Thanks for sharing your hobby. :)

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great stuff, I can't wait for the vernal pools to come alive here in Jersey.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just goes to show you that there are exotic things even in your own backyard if you take the time to look!
    A kid I worked with found a triops, a pretty good sized one, too, and brought it to show me. He thought it might be some sort of alien species!
    As in UFO! :rolleyes:
    Boy was he disappointed.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

awesome pictures !!! and the animation is cool too. Ya never know what lurks in the backyard huh ?

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Wow! Very cool looking critters!!
    I need to check out the puddles in my yard now! LOL

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Cool

Those are awsome pics! :D

8. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

for best results, I would look for large puddles that attract some waterfowl occasionally. Waterfowl seem to enjoy eating the bugs, and they also seem to transport them from place to place on mud stuck to their feet. Here is the large vernal pool where I found mine. Thats my 2 dr. Blazer at the back- voted most dangerous vehicle on the road today. Fortunately I never saw the farmer, who Im sure would be upset about me driving around in his field.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres the pics of the tadpole shrimp I caught last year, before I knew enough to add substrate. They lived about a week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow...those are so bizarre looking but so neat! never saw anything like them. thanks for sharing the pics. :)

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Tadpole shrimp are so cool :) They look like mini horseshoe crabs.

11. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Here is the newest image i have of a fairy shrimp that just hatched days ago. Right now it is about 3mm long. This photo is about 10x actual size.

[​IMG]

I will post better photos as they grow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.