This Disappears When Logged In

Vermicompositing

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by richcoulterjr, Mar 17, 2011.

1. richcoulterjr

richcoulterjr Elite Member

something ive been looking into alot lately. not really thinking about using them as feeders. just been looking at ways to green up my life. just looking for tips and tricks from you guys if you are into this. also going to be taking a couple of my empty tanks and trying out aquaponics soon.

2. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

It's very easy! You can build bins out of plastic tubs and keep them under your kitchen sink. Tip: measure your kitchen sink and buy an appropriately sized tub. It's not as easy the other way around! :D

Here are some good resources:

Red Worm Composting

Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!

3. Mark2

Mark2 New Member

This question is why I signed back on to HC. I knew it'd be here.

Anyway I need to step into this cheaply because I've all but blown my garden budget for the year. I'm thinking of picking up red wigglers from a bait shop. Maybe two tubs of 36. Anyone see a problem with starting out that small?

The few online worm farms I have looked at have worms priced around $40 a pound.

This is freaky how close my brain works to HC after so long. Aquaponics is part of what renewed my interest in starting vericomposting. Worms as a feed stock for the fish. That and the compost tea for containers...