This Disappears When Logged In

Ventilation

Discussion in 'Heating' started by tedmunds, Jul 18, 2010.

1. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

I am putting two vents on the enclosure I'm building for a bearded dragon. Would it be better to put them near the bottom (what i was planning on doing) or at the top? I think the bottom would help keep the heat in a little better.

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I have my vents at the top. Depending on your heat source it is usually more radiant and I like to move the hotter air around.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not an expert at building enclosures, but hot air rises, and you may lose alot of your heat if the vent in on the top. If it was me I might put one vent on the bottom of the hot side and another on the top of the cool side. I wouldn't place them on the back or front but on the sides of the tank.
    just a thought

4. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

I decided to put both about 3-4 inches up from the bottom. One on each side. If need be I can always add another. My jigsaw and oak plywood didn't like each other much.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Jig Saws are hard to cut threw plywood, you have to drill holes first and then cut kitty corner first, like a square pie. Then go around the intended edge, well like I mentioned I'm no expert on enclosures but I have cut holes with a jig saw. If you ever have to put another vent you could always do a circle type and just use a hole saw bit on your drill.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When it comes to cutting vents, the hole saw is your friend!;)

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

To move air around efficiently you need a low vent and a high one.
    Basically it's convection. The air is drawn in the low vent as it's heated it rises and escapes through the top. This gives you a source of fresh air.
    Mind you this does not move ALOT of air inside a terrarium, unless you have a fan sucking it in and a fan pushing it out.