This Disappears When Logged In

Vent / Hempipene Question

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by themourningstar, Feb 20, 2013.

1. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

The retic that I had posted about is.. Sick? Im not sure. His vent seems to be swollen and reddish. I have never seen this, or read anything about it, and obviously Im kind of worried about it. Have you?? He also has two spots on his side where the scales are.. Im not sure how to describe it.. Pushed out? It could be a burn I suppose, but.. Not sure where he could of burned himself.

Pertinent info:

-He just got an antibiotic shot for an RI, roughly three days ago. The vet said the RI wasnt very bad (seemed horrible to me).

-I think he is starting to shed. His eyes have turned "milky" and his underside is turning pink. This may explain the color of his vent, but not how it's swollen, it almost gapes open.

-He only took one of his rats after his shot. He got his shot on his feeding day, and he wouldn't eat all of them.

-He has been using the restroom a lot since his shot- maybe that's why he is so swollen?

Thank you tons, this snake is such a pain in the butt, but he's my favorite for sure.

UPDATE- It doesnt seem like it's his vent now.. It seems like it's his hemipenes. Not sure wtf is going on. :,(

2. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Could he possibly be prolapsing? If it's a possibility a vet trip would be in order. I've never dealt with it personally but have heard that if it's a prolapse it needs to be kept moist to prevent the skin from drying out and becoming necrotic.

3. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

TAKE IT TO THE VET Immediately

4. themourningstar

KK, done.. Is it from the antibiotic shot they gave him?? That's the only thing I could think of :( Allergic reaction maybe? I googled the prolapse, doesnt look the same in the pics. I was already on the verge of going, was way worried about this.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

photo would help and you'll know a prolapse when you see one, doesn't sound like it. pix :)

6. themourningstar

Fml. He died. I had a visit scheduled for tomorrow morning. :( I dont know wtf I did... He was my favorite too. :,( ****.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's aweful! You can get a necropsy done if you really want to know what happened.

8. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes better for ya in the future.

9. JoeyG

sorry about that, sucks to lose one like that...... don't beat yourself up you were trying

10. themourningstar

I actually met a guy who.. dissects? animals in order to harvest their bones- he cleans them and puts the skeleton back together. He "harvested" Tiger, and he said he hadnt seen anything like it before. Said there was a lot of blood in the body cavity and some kind of lump. Did I do something wrong to him to make him like that?? I only had him two weeks, and he was sick when I got him, but.. Fudge. The vet said he just had a minor RI.

Could this of been an allergic reaction to his meds?

11. JoeyG

No, alot of times reptiles will hide how truly sick they may be. It's hard to tell and to have killed it the issues started long before you got it. An RI being untreated can kill them and if the poor guy didn't get the attention till you got it, it was too late. RI can be dealt with fairly easy when addressed early but can lead to more health problems that build up including infections.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The lump maybe but generally allergic reactions don't cause internal bleeding, just swelling and hives.
    I think it must have been something he had before you got him.

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Cancer comes to mind. Sorry to hear. At least you tried tho.

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Sorry for your loss :(
    Also Articulating skeletons is what he's doing. Just like what we do when we put human bones together for science and medical classes. (though now they're usually not made from real human bones.) A lot of people do it for sculptures as a hobby, like taxidermy. I did it in college a few months ago with an owl and helped with a fox!
    Examples: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/userfiles/image/category1_class_21_large.jpg

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Sorry for you loss! What an unexpected shock! I wonder if it was a tumor of some kind.