This Disappears When Logged In

Venomous?

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by mambaman, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Arent Paradise tree snakes mildly venomous?

2. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Chrysopelea paradisi? If so, yes.

3. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I thought they were i wasnt sure though

isnt their venom not potant enough to harm a human and there rear fanged?

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Yes, Chrysopelea paradisi have weak venom and in most cases should be no more harmful to a human than a bee sting. However, because it is venomous, responsibility should be upheld as one would do with any venomous snake.

It'll also help avoid potential anaphylactic shock (Or any illness) if your snake likes putting you in it's mouth.

And yes, they are rear fanged.

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Does anyone know the care requirments for one. i couldnt find any care sheets on google.

6. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

Kind of a late reply, but anyway, I keep Chrysopelea ornata, which is quite similar. They need a tall arboreal enclosure with lots of climbing space, moderate humidity (75%+), and a basking area in the high 80s. Something solid, those mesh Reptariums aren't good enough, they are escape artists - I am using the large Exoterra front opening glass terrariums.

They're primarily lizard eaters, but I've had good luck getting mine to feed on fuzzy mice. They are extremely nervous snakes, and strike readily. I've never been bit so can't attest to the venom effects, but they are not large snakes and their delivery mechanism is not very effective. I use a pair of leather gloves when handling is necessary, but I try not to handle them unless I absolutely have to. They are VERY fast moving though. I've kept coachwhips, and they have nothing on these guys - flying snakes will disappear right before your eyes if you give them a chance, and all they want is to get as far away from you as fast as possible. So handling is really out of the question anyway.

They are a "set them up, and leave them alone" kind of snake. They're diurnal and highly active, so make great display snakes in an area that doesn't get a lot of traffic to scare them all the time. You can do most of the cage maintenance in the evenings after you turn the lights off and they typically just sleep through it. I keep one of mine on UV and the other with a regular fluorescent for day/night cycle and I haven't notice any difference in their behavior or health - so it is unlikely the UV is necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.