This Disappears When Logged In

Venomoids

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rach why don't you post both articles. I for one would like to read them!

2. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

I agree. I've read some, but they weren't done by anyone with any credibility, although I have to admit that out of the "herpetologist" people out there, Mark O'Shea is my least favorite. He seems like a bumbling yutz, and is constantly doing things more for the camera than for safety. I watched him on one show get bit by a side fanged snake after misidentifying it as something else, and his hand swelled up and turned black.

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Ummmm a herpetologist is somebody who has a degree from an ACCREDITED institution so I don't think Mark O' Shea falls into that category NOT that you can't know tons about herps from experience.TECHNICALLY herpetologist means, in a literal sense, "one who studies herpetofauna" however common usage in present society generally reserves "ologist" to refer to people with medical or Ph.D. degrees. Let's just not abuse words ending in "ologist" ;) :p Yes Rachel let's see the articles, I love any articles on venomous snakes and the venomous forum sees so little use.

4. Merlin

I have to disagree here. There have been many very knowledgeble herpetologists that were not university trained but rather learned from their own individual studies. Just because they didn't have a peice of paper from an institution does not meant they aren't knowledgable and recognized as a herpetolgist.

5. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Oh I agree that the people you refer to are just as knowledgable as any university trained herpetologist, they just usually aren't called herpetologists. Not sure what I'd personally call them other than an expert at *insert subject here* :confused:

6. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I would like to read the articles as well, even though he is one of my least favorites as well. He reminds of Steve Irwin without any enthusiasm.
    Zane

7. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Hence the "quotes" around "herpetologist". Personally, I like our local boy, Jeff Corwin. :)

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I dont really have an opinion on the keeping them and all as i havent read up on it but i too would like to read the articles :D

9. Ornata

Ornata Member

I have to disagree with you Merlin, a Herpetologist is a doctor. A true herpetologist has PHD. Without that piece of paper you CANNOT call yourself a herpetologist. I dont even see how you can think that one could be such without that university training. All other are referred to as Herpetoculturists. There is a BIG diffrence. If what you are saying is true then I guess Im a Herpetologist? I see no logic in your statement. This is not to put you down but I guess Id like to see further clarification on this.

10. Adamanteus

Adamanteus New Member

Microscope Jockey and Ornata are correct. The title Herpetologist does very well always come along with a doctrate. You cant just call your self a herpetologist or let yourself be called a herpetologist. :rolleyes:

That's like me claiming I'm a MD because I'm well versed and knowledgeable about human medicine.

11. Merlin

There are specific laws governing who can and cannot call themselves an MD. To my knowledge there is no such law regarding who can and cannot call themselves a herpetologist.

A "herptoculturist" is one who keeps and breeds herps. A herpetologist is one who scientifically studies herps.

From the American Society of Icthyologists and Herpetologists.:
    I based my statement on the fact that it has only been recently that there have been offered specific courses in herpetology. Prior to that degreed herpetologists actually had their degree in another discipline (zoology, biology, etc) and then on their own pursued the study of Herps.

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I have to disagree with Kathy here, sorry! :p Mark is a very experienced and knowledgable man, and he does nothing for the camera! - His programmes are completely natural, and one of his rules is that there are to be no set-up or staged shots, no re-captures or re-shots. What you see is what you get. I think he is a great man who has done much for the herp kingdom.

And I'm with Merlin on the definitions of herpetologist.

Anyway, the articles as you requested. Erm, how do I do this? They are very lengthy articles.. :D

13. Ornata

Ornata Member

Im changing my title to Herpetologist Jeff Henderson then I guess. I guess every little kid that comes into ReptiChat spouting off about bieng a herpetologist was right.......not.

14. Bitis Gabonica

Jeff, a herpetoculturist is someone who is in the hobby - I am a herpetoculturist, you are, we all are on this forum,. we all keep reptiles and have them as pets and perhaps breed them.

A herpetologist is someone who studies herps/reptiles.

15. Ornata

Ornata Member

Well sure Bitis but from what you and merlin are saying, all it takes to be a herpetologist is to "study" reptiles. Well I study them, whats to keep me from calling myself a Herpetologist? Well according to what you and Merlin both say theres nothing keeping me from doing so.

So you see where my problem lies. If you do not have a PHD from an accredited institution then you are NOT and CANNOT call yourself a Herpetologist. So because Steve Irwin inherited a zoo, do you think he should be called a Herpetologist? NO WAY!!! He doesnt have his doctorate but according you and Merlin he would be a herpetologist because he does indeed study reptiles and their natural history....you see what Im getting at here?

16. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

There is more to life than a piece of paper, some of the most knowledgable people out there did not go to college.

17. Ornata

Ornata Member

In this world that peice of paper matters alot!

18. Bitis Gabonica

Well, yes the piece of paper means a lot, that's why a lot of us study hard at uni and college,. but it doesn't always mean everything. If you study reptiles then I would call you a herpetologist. What would you call it??

:)

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    My personal opinion is that a herpetologist requires a degree. To my knowledge and interpretation, an amateur herpetologist better describes those with an advanced education with reptiles. To be an amateur herpetologist, I don't believe that it would require the physical eduction found in a classroom. Some of the best learning and education is not done in a formal setting, but rather by ones experiences and errors.
    My interpretation however is that "herpetologist" is reserved for those with the papers to back it. An amateur herpetologist however seems to better describe those without the paper, but do have knowledge of advanced husbandry, reptile behavior and health.

20. Ornata

Ornata Member

Well said!!! Now THAT I can agree with :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.