This Disappears When Logged In

Venomoid Vipers?

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by KKHerps, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

In the very near future, I am planning on purchasing venomous snakes as a grand finale in the collection, but I do not feel comfortable with purchasing a fully venomated animal, so i have decided to purchase a venomoid from a professional site, venomoid inc.. so, if the snake bites (in this case it is either a Malaysian pit viper or gaboon) will it be a major problem?Death?Infection? if the snake bites, can i use a hydrogen peroxide to prevent infection? Alcohol? Note the site says that the venom glands and ducts are removed and no venom is produced. I will also be using bite proof gloves (thanks lllreptiles!) and using a snake hook or tong at any time possible.

Thanks!!!!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Maybe it's best to stick with colubrids and non-venomous creatures - devenoming a creature is unnecessary and inhumane, and sometimes lethal. Venomous snakes should not be handled anyways.

Though if you are going to, a snake-hook and good gloves will be a must.

And you would clean them as you would any wound - peroxide and a little neosporin, if you think it needs it. Though if you get bit by a Gaboon, even a devenomed one, you'll feel it.

I must say, my favorite venomous snakes are the eyelash pit viper, and the sri-lankan pit viper. Both are very gorgeous, but nothing I''d want in my house (okay maybe I would, but I wouldn't handle it unless absolutely necessary)

I might add that many states have very strict laws about the ownership of venomous snakes, that make it difficult, if not impossibly for people to get or keep them. Make sure you know your laws, and get the red tape sorted out before you get the snake.

I know here in Florida, they recently tightened it up. Our herp keeper at the zoo where I work, used to have a collection of venomous snakes that he was forced to get rid of after they changed the laws, because the upkeep on permits per animal was exorbitant.

3. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

umm, i am definatly getting one, no more colubrid. i have been working with snakes my whole life and i think that i need something of a challenge that i can handle, like and eyelash viper or monocled cobra.

Also, when you said that devenomizing a snake is inhumane. I know the man who owns Venomoid inc., I can trust him and i know the snake doesnt feel pain. Look up venomoidinc.com, he uses proper anistegia, he is not a butcher that you and i see at expos or certian breeders.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was referring to the practice in general - why buy a venomous snake and then have it's venom glands removed? it'd boil down to the same as owning a garter snake or ball python.

Denaturing any animal (laryngectomies on dogs so they don't bark, etc) is an iffy practice in my eyes.

but like I said, def. go with a snakehook and gloves. Just in case the operation isn't 100%. Better safe than sorry.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you may also want to do some research and find out if there are any side effects of such a procedure, or what it's overall impact will be on the animal.

I know Dart Frogs naturally lose their poison in captivity, due to diet. As a result, in captivity, they are more prone to skin infections they would not get in the wild. I don't know if there is any parallel to that in the world of venomous creatures or not, but you'd definitely want to be forewarned, in case there is.

6. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

my friend has a pigmy rattle snake hes fairly small and easy to handle. i think it would be a good starting snake ?

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

those pygmies are cute.

Another thing, any venom the snake may have had stored up, or residue in the fangs themselves will still be active. I'm not sure how long it will take all of that to clear out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.