This Disappears When Logged In

Vending Machine?

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by cslammon, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I was just wondering.. What if you made an enclosure out of a vending machine? One of the types that are temperature controlled so you could keep it at a perfect temp all the time. Just knock all the shelves out and what not, would that work?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suppose that it would work, with a couple of issues.
    Most vending machines are set up to keep things cold, not warm, so you would still have to rework the entire system for heat.
    And they are not set up for any sort of ventilation.
    But since they are insulated it might be an advantage. I know people have been using old refridgerators for incubators for years.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

you may be able to find something like that at a restauant supply store. there are these cabinets that are used to keep food at a certain temp. The only thing is they are very expensive and would be the same temp throughout the entire thing.

4. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Well I could easily convert the refrigeration system to a heating system, all the duct work is done for me already which is a bonus. I could also have a humidifier pumpin through the duct work as well. As for ventilation, nothing a few vents wont fix.. I think I'm gonna look for a vending machine

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

someone on the board did this out of a commercial coke fridge, the kind from like 7-11. it worked out really well. Lots of space and all insulated already. He just put in his own lamps and heat emitter. I can't remember what he did for ventilation, but it worked well.